Winfred M. Atwood Scrapbook, 1893-1907 PDF
- Atwood, W. M. (Winfred McKenzie), 1883-
- Winfred M. Atwood Scrapbook
- 1893-1907 (inclusive)18931907
- 0.5 cubic ft., (The Atwood Scrapbook is housed in one 14x18 oversize box.)
- Collection Number
- Consult repository.
- The Atwood Scrapbook documents student life at Cornell College (Mt. Vernon, Iowa) in the 1900s. The scrapbook was assembled by Winfred M. Atwood, who graduated from Cornell College in 1907 and served as Oregon State College botany professor from 1913 until 1950.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Born in Aurelia, Iowa on July 25, 1883, Winfred M. Atwood served in the Oregon State College Botany and Plant Physiology department from 1913-1950.
Atwood received his A.B. from Cornell College in Mt. Vernon, Iowa in 1907. During this time, Atwood was a member of three honorary fraternities and two literary societies, and the materials in the collection reflect his interest and activities. After graduation, he taught high school from 1908-1909 at Hampton High school in Iowa. In 1916 he returned to Cornell College and earned his A.M. degree. Enrolling at the University of Chicago, he obtained his M.S. degree in 1911 and his Ph.D. in 1913.
In September 1913, he accepted a position as an instructor in biology at Oregon Agricultural College. He was made an Associate Professor of Botany in 1916 and Professor of Plant Physiology in 1925. During World War I, Atwood worked on research problems related to wheat germination. He served as chairman of the student loan fund administered by the college faculty committee. Winfred Atwood retired from Oregon State in 1950.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Atwood Scrapbook contains Cornell College commencement programs; literary society debate announcements; newspaper clippings; grade reports; athletic announcements; and copies of various programs, recitals and announcements. Of note are publications by Atwood and photographs taken by him during his college career. The scrapbook also includes Atwood's grade reports (1893-1900) from the Cherokee, Iowa, Public Schools.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Iowa--Mount Vernon.
- Student activities--Iowa--Mount Vernon.
- Corporate Names :
- Cornell College (Mount Vernon, Iowa)
- Form or Genre Terms :