- Coleman, Rufus A., b. 1886
- Rufus Coleman Papers
- 1929-1965 (inclusive)19291965
- 0.25 linear feet, (3 folders)
- Collection Number
- Mss 094
- Rufus Coleman was a member of the English faculty at the University of Montana. The collection consists of galley proofs for Northwest Books, a collection he edited, and a letter from poet Vachel Lindsay.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana--Missoula.
- Funding for creating this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historic Publications and Records Commission. Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Coleman was born in 1886. He was an Instructor in the English Department at the University of Montana (Missoula) in 1916-1917 and professor from 1927 to 1956.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of two galley proofs and three letters. Two of the letters are addressed to Coleman, and one is an explanatory letter from him that accompanied his donation of the letters to the library. The poet Vachel Lindsay corresponded with Coleman in 1929 regarding his appearance at the University of Montana to read his works. Coleman’s 1965 letter, addressed to librarian Kathleen Campbell, contains his memories and impressions of Lindsay’s performance.
The galley proofs are of Northwest Books, on which Coleman was the general editor. The book was published by the University of Nebraska Press in 1949.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to The University of Montana.
[Name of document or photograph number], Rufus A. Coleman Papers , Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The materials were in the possession of Coleman until donation to the Archives.
Gift of Rufus Coleman, 1965.
The collection was originally processed as two collections (SC 22 and SC 363). In 2004, the materials were combined and re-described.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Letters||1929 and 1065|
|2||Galley proofs, Northwest Books||1949|
|3||Galley proofs, Northwest Books||1949|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Lindsay, Vachel, 1879-1931--Journeys--Montana--Missoula
- University of Montana--Missoula--Faculty--Correspondence
Titles within the Collection
- Coleman, Rufus. Northwest Books.