- Tinney, Darin
- Darin Tinney independent film collection
- 1997-2000 (inclusive)19972000
- 1 VHS videocassette.
- Collection Number
- The Darin Tinney independent film collection (1997-2000) consists of one cassette containing five films completed by Tinney while studying film at the University of Utah. Tinney is an active Salt Lake City filmmaker who has worked for local television stations and charity organizations in addition to pursuing his independent film career. This collection is part of the Utah Independent Film Archive (UIFA).
- University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections.
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Materials must be used on-site; no use of original material, access copies will be made available for viewing. Five business days advanced notice required. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law, condition of the material, or by donor.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Darin Tinney is a graduate of the film department at the University of Utah. In addition to being a freelance video producer, Tinney has also worked for Salt Lake City television stations KSL-TV and KJZZ-TV. He has produced training and promotional videos for private businesses and public agencies. Tinney has also worked as an assistant producer on a public television historical documentary as well as having written, directed and produced a number of films of his own. Darrin Tinney is a teacher for YouthCity Always, a Salt Lake City arts education program.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Darin Tinney independent film collection (1997-2000) consists of one cassette containing five films completed by Tinney while studying film at the University of Utah. Both narrative and documentary films are represented. This collection is part of the Utah Independent Film Archive (UIFA).
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||5 films by Darin Tinney
1. "The Groder," a brief mockumentary about the Groder, a strange, gimp-like person with an obsession with an ATM. The piece contains no diegetic sound and is accompanied by rambling narration about the Groder. 3:00.2. "Noisy Blood," a short police drama shot around Salt Lake City. The piece features ongoing narration of the hardboiled detective story genre. The story is about two police detectives on the hunt for a missing person. 7:00.3. "Slapdown," a documentary about the band Slapdown filmed at Liquid Joe's in Salt Lake City. The piece has narration mixed with actual audio from Slapdown's performance. There are also interviews with band members interspersed within the shots of the band performing. The band discusses their genesis as well as how they work together to produce songs. 8:00.4. "THUNDERandLIGHTNINGand," a police drama shot entirely on the University of Utah campus. The piece takes place around a crime scene. The lead character is a volatile police investigator who can discern details about a murder in a fashion flabbergasting to his colleagues. This film uses looped music and innovative editing to achieve a hypnotic, ethereal feeling to the story. 12:00.5. "with Ed," a documentary about a trip Tinney took with a man named Ed to Spanish Fork, Utah. The piece uses no narration and employs only occasional title cards to explain the action. The piece features a great deal of southern Utah scenery as seen through the eyes of people on a road trip. 4:00.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Independent filmmakers
- University of Utah
Form or Genre Terms
- Moving images