Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Student Media Records, 1945-2002
- Oregon State University. Office of Student Media.
- Student Media Records
- 1945-2002 (inclusive)19452002
- 3 cubic feet, including 74 photographs, (3 boxes)
- Collection Number
- RG 239
- The Student Media Records document the oversight, advising, and management provided for student publications and broadcast media at Oregon State University. Student-funded media at Oregon State consist of The Daily Barometer weekday newspaper; Beaver yearbook; Prism literary and arts magazine; KBVR FM non-commercial radio station; and KBVR TV public access channel serving Corvallis and Philomath.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Office of Student Media provides oversight, advising, and management for the student-funded publications and broadcast media at Oregon State University. The faculty and staff of the department advise, teach, and provide administration and technical support for the student editors and managers, who are themselves responsible for hiring and directing the staffs that produce the content and managing 300-400 volunteer and paid student staff. Student-funded publications and broadcast media at Oregon State consist of The Daily Barometer weekday newspaper; Beaver yearbook; Prism literary and arts magazine; KBVR FM non-commercial radio station; and KBVR TV public access channel serving Corvallis and Philomath.
The first issue of the College Barometer was published on March 16, 1896 and was subsequently published monthly and then semi-weekly. It became the Daily Barometer in 1923.
The Beaver yearbook began publication on an annual basis in 1908, using The Orange as the original title.
KBVR-FM, the student-operated campus radio station, began broadcasting in 1965 as a 10-watt station. In January 1967, KBVR television began broadcasting for several hours one or two evenings per week, on the closed circuit television system used during the day for classroom television. Both the radio and television stations were originally located in Shepard Hall, but moved to the Memorial Union East when that facility was completed in 1977.
Frank Ragulsky served as Director of Student Media from 1982 until his retirement in 2009. Irwin Harris served as Director of Student Publications until his retirement in 1981.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Student Media Records document the oversight, advising, and management provided for student publications and broadcast media at Oregon State University. The records include budgets and financial information, contracts correspondence, handbooks, meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, photographs, printing blocks, reports, and student papers. About a third of the collection consists of records of the Broadcast Media Committee, the Student Publications Committee, and the University Student Media Committee. Materials pertaining to production (typesetting, advertising, and newswire services) for the campus newspaper and yearbook are included in the collection. The participation of Student Media directors, Irwin Harris and Frank Ragulsky, in the Pacific Coast Publication Managers and the Western Association of University Publication Managers professional organizations are reflected in the records.
The photographs consist primarily of 35 mm b/w negatives as well as several b/w prints. They depict Oregon State University President A.L. Strand at various functions, Richard Mengler, old farm structures, and a birthday party for an unidentified child. Six printing blocks are part of the collection; these include the cover image of the 1949/1950 student handbook.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Student Media Records (RG 239), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.
The records were transferred to the Archives in 2010.
Additions to the collection are expected.
The Associated Students of Oregon State University (ASOSU) (RG 011), Vice Provost for Student Affairs (RG 102), and Memorial Union and Student Activities (RG 099) Records include additional materials pertaining to student publications and media at Oregon State University. The Archives' holdings include the Barometer newspaper, Beaver yearbook, and Prism literary magazine as well as KBVR Videotapes (FV P 170) and Photographs (P 170). Additional information about the history of campus newspaper is available in the Story of the Oregon State College Barometer Manuscript.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College radio stations--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College student newspapers and periodicals--Oregon.
- College television stations--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Radio in higher education--Oregon.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Television in higher education--Oregon--Corvallis.
- KBVR (Television station : Corvallis, Or.)
- KBVR (Radio station : Corvallis, Or.)
- Oregon State University--Students.
Form or Genre Terms
- Film negatives.
- Photographic prints.
- Printing blocks.
- Harris, Irwin C. (Irwin Cecil) (creator)
- Ragulsky, Frank A., 1946- (creator)
- Oregon State University. Broadcast Media Committee. (creator)
- Oregon State University. Student Media Committee. (creator)
- Oregon State University. Student Publications Committee. (creator)