- Seattle (Wash.). Office of the Treasurer
- Office of the Treasurer Tax Lists for the City of Seattle
- 1874-1876 (inclusive)18741876
- 3 volumes
- Collection Number
- Rolls of taxes levied by the City of Seattle on its residents, 1874-1876.
- Seattle Municipal Archives
Seattle Municipal Archives
Office of the City Clerk
City of Seattle
PO Box 94728
- Access Restrictions
Records are open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The position of City Treasurer was created in Seattle's first City Charter in 1869. The Treasurer administered the collection, management, and disbursement of all City monies, invested temporary surplus cash, kept accounts of all funds received and expended, and administered Local Improvement District assessments. The Treasurer, like the Comptroller, was an elected official until 1992, when a City Charter amendment abolished the two positions and consolidated the two departments into an executive agency, the Department of Finance.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of three volumes of information regarding taxes levied by the City of Seattle on its residents during the years 1874-1878. Tables include name of resident, description of property, value of real estate and personal property, total valuation, amount assessed for each tax, date of payment, and remarks. Taxes levied included Road Poll, Road Property, City, Gas Light, Fire, and Cemetery taxes.
Prominent early Seattleites whose names appear in the tax lists include religious leader Daniel Bagley, businessman (and later Mayor of Seattle) Bailey Gatzert, banker Dexter Horton, early pioneer (and widow of Dr. David "Doc" Maynard) Catherine Maynard, and early settlers Henry and Sarah Yesler.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Item and date], Tax Lists for the City of Seattle, Record Series 8004-01. Page [number]. Seattle Municipal Archives.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Cemeteries--Taxation--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Fire departments--Taxation--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Gas lighting--Taxation--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Property tax--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Public utilities--Taxation--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Roads--Taxation--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Taxation--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Seattle (Wash.).
Form or Genre Terms
- Tax records