Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Oliver Cowdrey correspondence [photocopies and typecripts], 1833-1838
- Cowdery, Oliver, 1806-1850
- Oliver Cowdrey correspondence [photocopies and typecripts]
- 1833-1838 (inclusive)18331838
- 0.25 linear feet
- Collection Number
- ACCN 1549
- The Oliver Cowdrey correspondence [photocopies and typecripts] (1833-1838) consist of forty-six letters written by Cowdrey for himself or for others. Oliver Cowdrey (1806-1850) was one of six original members of the Church of Christ, later called the Church Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was a scribe to Joseph Smith.
University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Photocopying is not permitted.
Twenty-four hour advanced notice encouraged. Materials must be used on-site. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Oliver Cowdrey (1806-1850) was one of the six original members of the Church of Christ which was organized in 1830. The full name was given in 1838 as the Church Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS Church). He is best known as the scribe of Joseph Smith but also played an important leadership role in the early LDS Church. He was a strong defender of the Book of Mormon and helped to select the Church's first twelve apostles. He later came into conflict with Joseph Smith and was excommunicated. For several years he was an attorney and lived in Ohio and in Wisconsin Territory. After Joseph Smith's death in 1844, Oliver Cowdrey returned to the LDS Church but died in Richmond, Missouri, before he could go west to Salt Lake City.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Oliver Cowdrey correspondence [photocopies and typecripts] (1833-1838) consist of forty-six letters written by Cowdrey for himself or for other LDS Church leaders. Also included are typed transcriptions of the letters and an index. The original letters are located in the Huntington Library in California.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The library does not claim to control copyright for all materials in the collection. An individual depicted in a reproduction has privacy rights as outlined in Title 45 CFR, part 46 (Protection of Human Subjects). For further information, please review the J. Willard Marriott Library’s Use Agreement and Reproduction Request forms.
Collection Name, Collection Number, Box Number, Folder Number. Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, The University of Utah.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Mormon Church--History--19th century
- Hyde, Orson, 1805-1878--Correspondence
- Phelps, William Wines, 1792-1872--Correspondence
- Rigdon, Sidney, 1793-1876--Correspondence
- Smith, Joseph, 1805-1844--Correspondence
- Whitemer, David, 1805-1888--Correspondence
- Whitney, Newel K.--Correspondence
- Williams, Frederick Granger, 1787-1842--Correspondence
Titles within the Collection
- Book of Commandments
- Pearl of Great Price