Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
- Overview of the Collection
- Content Description
- Administrative Information
- Detailed Description of the Collection
- Names and Subjects
Ray-Jefferson Mining Company Records, 1909-1951
- Ray-Jefferson Mining Company
- Ray-Jefferson Mining Company Records
- 1909-1951 (inclusive)19091951
- 5 cubic feet
- Collection Number
- MG265 (collection)
- Minutes of meetings, correspondence with suppliers and stockholders, annual statements, stock records, tax returns and other financial records, and time books and payroll records of a silver-lead mine in the Beaver Mining District of the Coeur d'Alene mining region of northern Idaho.
University of Idaho Library, Special Collections and Archives
Special Collections and Archives
University of Idaho Library
875 Perimeter Drive
- Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.
Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Ray-Jefferson Mining Company was organized August 14, 1909, for the purpose of engaging in general mining. The first claims included, the "Ray" Lode, the "Jefferson" Lode and the "Lincoln" Lode, all in the Beaver Mining District in Shoshone County Idaho.
The first of the Ray-Jefferson directors included: David C. Smith, president; Daniel L. McGrath, vice president; E.G. Ellis, secretary/treasurer; A.G. Kerns, assistant secretary; and Edward Dolan. Little action occurred under their direction until 1915, at which time the "Carlisle", "Hill Group," and "Carbon Creek" mining claims were purchased and parts of the Ray-Jefferson mine were leased to other mining companies.
In 1916, Eugene and Harry Day locked horns with Interstate-Callahan over the acquisition of the Ray-Jefferson property. Although they were successful in acquiring the property, a higher price was paid than the fair market value. The new directors included Eugene R. Day, president, secretary and treasurer; Harry L. Day, vice-president; George L. Garrett, D.L. McGrath and James J. Murphy. James P. Maggy took over the position of secretary/treasurer a year later. A number of loans were taken out for the construction of the Ray-Jefferson mill with the hopes of a large return on profits. However, the Ray-Jefferson failed to live up to the Days' earlier expectations and little profit was made.
In 1918 the mine was closed and in 1919 the company began yearly assessments to repay debts acquired during their two years of operation. The assessments were so regular that when no assessments were levied in 1932 and 1933, a number of concerned stockholders wrote to the company because they had not received their yearly notice of assessment and were worried about their stock becoming delinquent. Some stockholders even went as far as to send in money so the stock would not become delinquent.
By 1940, Eugene R. Day had passed away and a new set of directors took over. These included Jerome J. Day, president; George K. Garrett, vice president; S.F. Heitfield, secretary/treasurer; and Frank M. Rothrock. During this year, the Day brothers convinced the directors of the Ray-Jefferson, Blue Grouse, Virginia, and Amazon-Manhattan Mining companies, to consolidate their properties into one company. The Days felt the most economical way was to create a new company, the Monitor Mining Company, and then have each company in turn join Monitor, handing over all property owned by the companies.
The Ray-Jefferson Mining Company existed for twenty-six years in which time little profit was made. All three of the Day brothers were at one time or another on the board of directors with Jerome and Eugene Day playing a major role in the end of the Ray-Jefferson, as well as the beginning of the Monitor Mining Company.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The records of the Ray-Jefferson Mining Company span the years 1909 to 1951, with the bulk of the material covering the years 1916 to 1940. Included are minutes of meetings, financial statements, correspondence with suppliers and stockholders, stock ledgers and journals, assessment records, lists of stockholders, financial ledgers, voucher and check registers, tax returns, and time books and payroll records.
Related materials can be found in the records of the Monitor Mining Company and among the papers of John H. Wourms.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The records of the n Mining Company are divided into five series: Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, 1909-1940; General Correspondence and Related Records, 1915-1944; Capital Stock Records, 1910-1940; Financial Records, 1916-1951; Personnel Records, 1914-1916, 1929-1937
The first series, Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, includes minutes and other records relating to meetings.
General Correspondence and Related Records, the second series, contains an alphabetical file which includes annual reports and statements, tax returns, claims, invoices, leases, contracts, stock related material and general correspondence.
The third series is Capital Stock Records. Included are stock ledgers and journals, and assessment records.
The fourth series, Financial Records, contains voucher registers for both the mine and the mill, financial ledgers, an appraisement, and a check register.
Personnel Records, the fifth series, includes time books and payrolls. Additional payroll records can be found in Monitor no. 362, 1916-1918
Removal of cancelled stock certificates, returned assessment notices, vouchers, paid checks, and duplicate materials reduced the size of this collection by 2 cubic feet.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I. Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders , 1909-1940Return to Top
Records relating to meetings
Records relating to meetings
Series II. General Correspondence and Related Records , 1915-1944Return to Top
Annual Reports and Statements
Capital stock tax returns
|1919, 1926, 1931|
Invoices and receipted bills
Income tax: employees
Income tax returns
Insurance: workmen's compensation
Leases and agreements
Legislation, social security
Montana Power Co.
Ore settlements, Ray-Jefferson--Carlisle vein
Proof of labor
Red Cross contribution
Stock Exchange, Spokane
Stock purchased by Day Family
Stock tax returns
Wage and Hours Division
Series III. Capital Stock Records , 1910-1940Return to Top
Series IV. Financial Records , 1919-1951Return to Top
Mill ledger (E.R. Day)
Mill voucher register
Series V. Personnel Records , 1914-1916, 1929, 1937Return to Top
|June 1914-October 1915, April 1916|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Lead mines and mining -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District -- History -- Sources
- Mining corporations -- Records -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District
- Silver mines and mining -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District -- History -- Sources
- Ray-Jefferson Mining Company