Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Carl Weeks photograph collection, 1890-1955
- Weeks, Carl
- Carl Weeks photograph collection
- 1890-1955 (inclusive)18901965
- 1 box
- Collection Number
- The Carl Weeks photograph collection contains photographs and slides documenting Carl Weeks' travels in the southwest United States, including early photographs of Zion Canyon. Also included are family photographs and images of Indians, mountain scenery, Yellowstone National Park, Zion National Park, and a trip to Europe.
University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Twenty-four hour advanced notice encouraged. Materials must be used on-site. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The photographs in this collection deal primarily with Weeks' travels to the Southwest United States. Originally from Iowa, he visited Zion Canyon for health reasons in 1901. He took some of the earliest photographs of the region and returned often to southern Utah in the subsequent years. He became an advocate of a national park system for Utah and took an active role in fighting the building of Echo Park Dam. Collection includes family pictures, geological/environmental interest, and also deals with the natives who lived in the southwest. Also includes images of mountain scenery, Yellowstone National Park, Zion National Park, and a trip to Europe. Almost all of the images in this collection have matching negatives; some are the original glass plate negatives and some are later copies.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The library does not claim to control copyright for all materials in the collection. An individual depicted in a reproduction has privacy rights as outlined in Title 45 CFR, part 46 (Protection of Human Subjects). For further information, please review the J. Willard Marriott Library’s Use Agreement and Reproduction Request forms.
Collection Name, Collection Number, Box Number, Folder Number. Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, The University of Utah.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Collection is arranged topically.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Carl Weeks' travelsReturn to Top
Zion National Park
Zion National Park
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Indians of North America--Photographs
- Yellowstone National Park--Photographs
- Zion Canyon (Utah)--Photographs
- Zion National Park (Utah)--Photographs
Form or Genre Terms
- Glass negatives
- Lantern slides
- Photographic prints