Archives West Finding Aid
Linsy Sisemore Papers, 1835-1940
- Sisemore, Linsy, 1869-1930
- Linsy Sisemore Papers
- 1835-1940 (inclusive)18351940
- 1.5 linear feet, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- Linsy Sisemore lived on a ranch near Fort Klamath, Oregon. The collection contains daily transactions for ranching and dry goods activities, letters and the 1889-1892 journal of the Board of Trustees for the town of Linkville.
Oregon Institute of Technology Libraries, Shaw Historical Library
Oregon Institute of Technology Libraries
3201 Campus Drive
Klamath Falls, OR
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Linsy Sisemore is the son of John Sizemore, born in Kentucky, and Mary Sisemore. He was born in Sams Valley, Jackson County, Oregon on July 12, 1869. On August 12, 1893 Linsy Sisemore married Ann Orth who was born August 24, 1876 and died at Fort Klamath September 26, 1930.
In 1898 Sisemore helped drive 1500 cattle to the Dalles in Oregon taking approximately four weeks. In 1900 Sisemore moved to Fort Klamath, claimed land on the military hay reserve and raised cattle. He retired from ranching in 1941. Linsy and Ann Sisemore had three sons: John Emmett, James Roland, and Linsy Orth Sisemore. Linsy Sisemore was a longstanding member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the United States of America and served as the first Boy Scout Master in Klamath County. He became a member of the Klamath County Library Board in 1926 and was actively involved for years. Sisemore served as editor-in-chief in compiling the History of Klamath County: Its Resources and Its People, 1941.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection is composed of one folder containing five handwritten pages of family and local history (no creation date provided), one ledger, one journal and a packet of letters. The handwritten family history includes the family activities from 1835 forward including births and deaths of family members, homes built, the first school he attended, teacher compensation, farm life, treating sick cows, flies at the dinner table, Chinamen workers and the first industrial plant seen by Sisemore (Hanna’s Pottery Plant) in Jackson County, Klamath Falls and Fort Klamath, Oregon. The Board of Trustees journal activities in Linkville cover propositions of road building between 1889 and 1892 along with other town business. The letters Sisemore sent to his wife included his daily activities with weather reports, books he read, and news of neighbors and friends.
Linsy Sisemore’s ledger and payments received on notes are from October 3, 1911 to December 1916. Within these pages are daily entries for individual purchases. A few pages following the ledger payments, Sisemore wrote reminiscences entitled on the front cover of the ledger as “memorabilia pioneer days” written on March 30, 1940. Later pages include an accounting of “cattle bought from” April 1912-September 18, 1912.
The “Journal No 1 Records Board of Trustees” is the record for the Board of Trustees for the town of Linkville, June 5, 1889 - April 4th, 1892.
Letters written to “Ann” or “Ann and Catchetts” dated December 9, 1929 through March 9, 1930 relate to Linsy Sisemore’s daily activities and weather at Fort Klamath, Oregon. When opening the back cover of the tablet, there is a letter to Ella who seems to be the person whom Ann is visiting.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Orth, Ann
- Sisemore,Linsy, 1869-1930
- Sisemore Family
- Fort Klamath Site (Or.)
- Linkville (Or.)
- Linkville Board of Directors (creator)