- ; University; Faculty; Association
- University Faculty Association records
- 1919-2017 (inclusive)19192017
- 1.2 linear feet
- Collection Number
- RG 068
- This collection contains records of the UniversityFacultyAssociation (UFA), a University of Montana-affiliated union. The collection includes minutes, collective bargaining agreements and other material documenting the purpose and activites of the UFA and its predecessor entities.
University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Historical NoteReturn to Top
A teachers union for the University of Montana was originally established in 1919, when faculty from Montana State University (now called the University of Montana) gathered to create the Federation of Teachers. This organization was in operation until 1922. Another iteration of the union arose in 1937, when faculty members met and agreed to rename the organization the University Teachers Union (UTU). The UTU, which was renamed the UniversityFacultyAssociation (UFA) in 2000, remains active and works to ensure academic freedom at the University of Montana. The members of the UFA are the faculty members of the University. An important part of the UFA’s function includes negotiating collective bargaining agreements on behalf of its members. The UFA is Local 119 of the MEA-MFT, Montana’s largest labor union.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The UniversityFacultyAssociation records consist of published and unpublished materials that document the organization's history and its association with the University of Montana as the union for its faculty. Materials include a written history, constitution and by-laws, newsletters, correspondence, collective bargaining agreements and meeting minutes.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
This collection is organized chronologically by subject area.
Some content in this collection was originally placed with the University Publications collection in Archives and Special Collection. UFA Collective Bargaining Agreements were given to the Archives by the UFA.
Gift of the UFA and unknown.
Materials were foldered and duplicates removed during processing.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Associations, institutions, etc.--Montana--Missoula
- Collective bargaining--College teachers--Montana--Missoula
- College teachers' unions--Montana--Missoula
- State universities and colleges--Montana--Missoula--Faculty--Societies, etc.