Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Umatilla National Forest Aerial Photographs, 1939
- United States. Forest Service. Pacific Northwest Region.
- Umatilla National Forest Aerial Photographs
- 1939 (inclusive)19391939
- 0.2 cubic foot, including 13 photographs, (1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- P 296
- The Umatilla National Forest Aerial Photographs consist of several aerial photographs from the BTU project made by the U.S. Forest Service in 1939 as well as a complete mosaic photo index of the BTU project.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Umatilla National Forest is in the Blue Mountains of northeast Oregon and southeast Washington. It was established in 1908.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Umatilla National Forest Aerial Photographs consist of several (8) aerial photographs from the BTU project made by the U.S. Forest Service in May 1939 as well as a completed mosaic photo index (5 sheets) of the BTU project aerial photographs. The photographs depict forested areas as well as areas that may have been cultivated or used as rangeland. The photographs are annotated with section numbers and other codes that may indicate soil type. A few notations indicate crops under cultivation. These annotations may have been added by the Agricultural Adjustment Administration. Most of the photographs are of the area northeast of Ukiah near Owens Butte. The photographs are 21x25 inches, with a scale of 1 inch = 660 feet (1:7920); each photograph covers an area of approximately 2.3 miles by 3 miles.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Umatilla National Forest Aerial Photographs (P 296), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The photo index was acquired by the Oregon State University Library in 1974.
The collection was transferred from the Oregon State University Libraries map collection to the Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Other maps of Umatilla County are part of the Metsker's Atlaes of Oregon Counties (MAPS Metsker) and the Highway Maps of Oregon Counties (MAPS Highway). The E.R. Jackman Photographic Collection (P 089) includes images of Umatilla County. The Special Collections & Archives Research Center also has aerial photographs of the Siuslaw National Forest (P 292).
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Forests and forestry--Oregon--Aerial photographs.
- Blue Mountains (Or. and Wash.)--Aerial photographs.
- Umatilla County (Or.)--Aerial photographs.
- Umatilla National Forest (Or. and Wash.)--Aerial photographs.
Form or Genre Terms
- Aerial photographs.
- Index maps.