Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Washington State College Research Council Records, 1932-1955
Overview of the Collection
- Washington State College Research Council Records
- 1932-1955 (inclusive)19321955
- .5 Linear feet of shelf space, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- Archives 290 (collection)
- In 1922, President E.O. Holland presented to the Board of Regents a recommendation for the creation of the Washington State College Research Council (WSCRC) as an advisory body in anticipation of the school's extension of graduate work to offering Ph.D.s. The majority of the collection consists of membership rosters, meeting announcements, meeting agendas, and meeting minutes of the WSCRC.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
In 1922, President E.O. Holland presented to the Board of Regents a recommendation for the creation of the Washington State College Research Council (WSCRC) as an advisory body in anticipation of the school's extension of graduate work to offering Ph.D.s. Article 1, Section 2 of the WSCRC's Constitution states that "the object of the Research Council shall be to encourage original investigation in science, pure and applied; by meeting for the discussion of scientific subjects; by arranging for and encouraging the publication of usch scientific matter as may be deemed desirable; by obtaining grants and fellowships for members of the council or other members of the college; by building up a graduate school; by granting the privelege of membership to such students as have given special promise of future scientific achievement; by favoring the appointment to and promotion of men on the faculty on the basis of their research ability as well as on their training and experience in teaching."
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The majority of the collection consists of membership rosters, meeting announcements, meeting agendas, and meeting minutes. In a few cases quantities of additional materials are included and those are generally foldered and titled separately.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Item Description] Washington State College Research Council Records, 1932-1955
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The collection is organized chronologically.
The papers of History professor George Frykman (MS1991-42) and records from the History Department (UA1991-08) were both donated by Dr. Frykman in 1991 and jointly processed by Lee Ann Hall in 2010. The majority of the papers were processed as the George A. Frykman Papers, 1906-1994 / bulk 1950-1990 (Cage 747), and the Washington State Research Council Records were separated out at that time.
This collection was processed by University Archivist Mark O'English in 2010.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1||WSCRC Constitutions, 1932-1951.|
|1||17||WSCRC Member Survey, 1947.|
|1||21||WSCRC Election Ballots, 1950.|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Education, Higher -- Accreditation -- Washington (State)
- Education, Higher -- Curricula -- Washington (State)
- State College of Washington. Graduate School.
- State College of Washington. Washington State College Research Council.