Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Feronian Literary Society and Mask and Dagger Club Records, 1910-1917
- Feronian Literary Society (Oregon Agricultural College)
- Feronian Literary Society and Mask and Dagger Club Records
- 1910-1917 (inclusive)19101917
0.02 cubic feet, (1 box)
1 microfilm reel
- Collection Number
- RG 42
- These records document the administration and activities of the Feronian Literary Society from 1910 to 1912 and the Mask and Dagger Club from 1912 to 1917. The Feronian Literary Society was established in 1897 for women students at Oregon Agricultural College. In 1912, it combined with the Philadelphian Literary Societey (for men) to form the Mask and Dagger Club.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Feronian Literary Society was established in 1897 as literary and social society for female students at Oregon Agricultural College. Its weekly business meetings were often followed by a program that included musical performances, readings, speeches, and discussion. The Feronians formed a close relationship with the all male Philadelphian Literary Society, and starting in 1907, the two societies put on an annual play. "Captain Rachett" (also known as "My Uncle From Japan") was the groups' 1907 production.
In February 1912, the Feronians and Philadelphians combined to become the Mask and Dagger Club, in order to "encourage and promote dramatic work in the Oregon Agricultural College." The new club staged a number of plays a year, often at the Opera House and Majestic Theater in downtown Corvallis. In 1924, the club became the National Collegiate Players. The Mask and agger Club was revived in 1935 as an drama organization for students not yet eligible for membership in the National Collegiate Players.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The records consist of one series: Constitution, By-laws, and Minutes, 1910-1917. They pertain to the administration and activities of the Feronian Literary Society from 1910-1912 and of the Mask & Dagger Club from 1912-1917. The records are in both paper and microfilm formats.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Feronian Literary Society and Mask and Dagger Club Records (RG 42), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Records of other literary societies: Adelphian (RG 48); Amicitia (RG 38); Athenian (RG 61); Hesparian (RG 65); Jeffersonian (RG 67); Sorosis (RG 46); Websterian (RG 47); and Zetagathean (RG 68). A 1900 photograph of the Feronians is located at P 25:2133; photos of other societies are also located in Harriet's Collection. Photographs of Mask and Dagger Club productions are located in Harriet's Collection #489. Additional literary society information is located in the Memorabilia Collection files, MC-Literary Societies and MC-Munford, Kenneth; for the Mask and Dagger Club see MC-Drama, History of, and MC-Theatre.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College and school drama--Oregon--Corvallis
- Literature--Oregon--Corvallis--Societies, etc
- Men--Oregon--Corvallis--Societies and clubs
- Women--Oregon--Corvallis--Societies and clubs
- Philadelphian Literary Society (Oregon Agricultural College)
- Mask and Dagger Club (Oregon Agricultural College) (creator)