- Moment, Samuel
- Samuel Moment papers
- 1935-1974 (inclusive)19351974
- 20.5 linear feet, (41 containers)
- Collection Number
- Coll 193
- Samuel Moment worked as an industry development consultant from 1940 to 1954 for the Bonneville Power Administration and from 1955 to 1995 as a consultant to world organizations. The collection contains documents related to the legal dispute over placement of Snake River dams during the Eisenhower administration.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Samuel Moment worked in the aluminum industry and was an expert on industry development. He worked from 1940 to 1954 for the Bonneville Power Administration and later as a consultant for the United Nations and other world organizations before retiring in 1995.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Samuel Moment papers comprise correspondence, chronological files, State of Oregon and US Government publications, documents, public transcripts, subject files, printed materials, and photography materials. The collection documents Moment's participation in the dispute involving Congress, Pacific northwest governors, environmentalists, and local power companies over the size and placement of dams on the Snake River during the Eisenhower administration.
Correspondence, subject files, and documents have each been arranged chronologically in an effort to preserve the sequence of these complex events and to trace Moment's participation in them. Series I, Correspondence includes Moment's professional correspondence with the participants, as well as participants' correspondence with each other. Series II, Chronological Files contains proposed Congressional Legislation for federal dam projects; background materials gathered by the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) and the law firm of Davidson, Nikoloric, Weiss, and Miller (attorneys for interveners); notes on pre-hearing testimony; office memos; speeches; and opposition newsletters. Series III, State of Oregon Publications and Series IV, United States government publications cover a variety of issues from the Hydro Electric Act of Oregon, 1954, to the Federal Power Commission (FPC) hearings report on the nomination of Jerome K. Kuykendall to the FPC.
An interesting and rich source of documentation is Series V, Legal Documents which is arranged chronologically and cross referenced to Series II, Chronological Files. The series extends beyond the date of resolution of the Hells Canyon dam to 1964 and covers FPC opinions on Washington Public Power Supply (WPPSS) license application. Series VI, Public Transcripts contains Moment's complete testimony before the FPC hearings in 1956.
Series VII, Subject Files contains miscellaneous papers related to the Democratic party, juvenile delinquency, pollution, and recreation. Series VIII, Printed Materials consists mostly of newspaper articles. Series IX, Photographs includes miscellaneous photographic prints.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Samuel Moment Papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Aluminum industry and trade
- Dams--Northwest, Pacific
- Dams--Snake River (Wyo.-Wash.)
- Electric utilities--Northwest, Pacific
- Environmentalists--Northwest, Pacific
- Government consultants
- Governors--Northwest, Pacific
- Industrial promotion--Northwest, Pacific
- Water resources development--Northwest, Pacific
- Kuykendall, Jerome K. (Jerome Kenneth), 1907-1987
- Columbia Valley Authority
- Davidson, Nikoloric, Weiss, and Miller (Firm)
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Hydroelectric Commission of Oregon
- Idaho Power Company
- Portland General Electric Company
- United States. Bonneville Power Administration
- United States. Bureau of Reclamation
- United States. Department of the Interior
- United States. Federal Power Commission
- Washington Water Power Company
- Columbia River--Power utilization
- Grand Coulee Dam (Wash.)
- Hells Canyon Dam (Idaho and Or.)--Planning
- United States--Politics and government--1933-1953
- United States--Politics and government--1953-1961