- Moore, Lilian
- Lilian Moore papers
- 1952-1969 (inclusive)19521969
- 1.5 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- Ax 434
- Lilian Moore (1909-2004) was an author of children's books, teacher and member of the New York Bureau of Educational Research. The collection includes manuscripts, correspondence, and published works.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Lilian Moore (March 17, 1909-July 20, 2004), known for her work as a children's author, poet, educator, and was born in New York City. She was educated at Hunter College, B.A., English, 1930; and did graduate work at Columbia University. Afterward, she began teaching elementary school. Skilled at working with illiterate children lead her to a position at New York's Bureau of Educational Research. She trained teachers to deal with reading difficulties. While she was working at the Bureau she began writing easy-to-read picture books. In addition to children's literature, she began the Scholastic's Arrow Book Club in 1957. Moore's first book of poetry, I Feel the Same Way (in this collection) appeared in 1967.
Lilian Moore received numerous awards for her work, including the New York Times Best Books of the Year selection in 1960; National Council of Teachers of English Award for excellence in poetry for children, 1985; and five times over her career was awarded the Child Study Association Children's Books of the Year. Lilian Moore is also known as Sara Asheron.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Lilian Moore Papers include published works, manuscripts and correspondence, including fan letters.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Lilian Moore Papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Children's literature, American--Authorship
- Illustrated children's books--United States--Specimens
- Women authors, American--20th century
Form or Genre Terms