Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Geraldine I. Olson Papers, 1992-2000
- Olson, Geraldine I.
- Geraldine I. Olson Papers
- 1992-2000 (inclusive)19922000
- 1.7 cubic feet, including 85 photographs and 1 audiocassette, (2 boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS Olson
- The Geraldine I. Olson Papers document Olson's teaching, research, and international activities as a home economics faculty member at Oregon State University. Olson joined the Oregon State University School of Home Economics in 1975 as head of the Home Management Department. Olson served as a faculty member at Oregon State until her retirement in 2000.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Geraldine I. Olson joined the faculty of Oregon State University in 1975 as head of the Home Management Department, which became the Family Resource Management Department several years later and subsequently the Human Development and Family Sciences Department. Olson specialized in the study of household management, rural sociology, and economics. She retired from Oregon State University in 2000.
Geraldine Iva Lillian Olson earned a BS in 1961 from the University of Wisconsin in Home Economics and Education. In 1965, she completed an MS degree in Household Economics and Management at Cornell University. From 1965 to 1975, Olson worked as an Instructor and Extension Specialist in Family and Consumer Economics at Ohio State University while completing a Ph.D. at Ohio State.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Geraldine I. Olson Papers document Olson's teaching, research, and international activities as a home economics faculty member at Oregon State University. The Papers include budgetary records, certificates, correspondence, course materials, curriculum vitae, meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, notes, overhead transparencies, photographs, project proposals, publications, and reports. The bulk of the collection documents Olson's participation in a U.S. Information Agency Scholar Exchange Program with university faculty from Nepal. These materials include a proposal; final reports summarizing the Nepal faculty project, Family, Technology, and Ecology Dynamics: Public Policy Dimensions; and reference materials assembled by Olson on the economic and political culture for women in Nepal and India. The reference materials consist of reports, newsletters, newspaper clippings, articles, conference proceedings, and brochures. Several photographs of Olson, Marsha Greer, Chandra Bhadra, and other faculty who participated in the Nepal exchange program are included.
Course materials are primarily for HOEC 300 (Management of Resources) and focus on the valuation of household work and calculations of the use of family time. Materials pertaining to the International Degree Program at Oregon State are also included.
The collection includes a slide-tape program, Women in Technology: If It's Not for Women, It's Not Appropriate, produced by the International Women's Tribune Centre. The slide-tape program includes a script, background materials, 80 color slides, and an audiocassette sound recording.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Geraldine I. Olson Papers (MSS Olson), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.
These materials were transferred to the Special Collections & Archives Research Center in 2013 by the College of Public Health and Human Sciences.
The Special Collections & Archives Research Center's holdings include extensive materials documenting home economics instruction, research, and extension programs at Oregon State. Of special note are the College of Home Economics and Education Records (RG 141) and the Human Development and Family Sciences Department Records (RG 085).
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Educational exchanges--Nepal.
- Educational exchanges--Oregon.
- Finance, Personal.
- Home economics--Accounting.
- Home economics--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- International baccalaureate--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Education (Higher)--Nepal.
- Women--Education (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Oregon State University. College of Home Economics and Education.
- Oregon State University. College of Home Economics.
Form or Genre Terms
- Photographic prints.
- International Women’s Tribune Centre. (creator)