Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Isom Cranfill papers , 1847–1903
- Cranfill, Isom
- Isom Cranfill papers
- 1847–1903 (inclusive)18471903
0.75 linear feet, (1 container, 2 volumes)
- Collection Number
- Ax 127
- Isom Cranfill lived in various areas of Oregon, working as a cabinetmaker, farmer, and itinerant preacher. He was justice of the peace in Clackamas County in 1848 and ran a general store in Oregon City from 1849-1850. The collection consists mainly of diaries: 1847, 1860, and 1863–1877 (16 volumes). The 1847 diary is an account of his overland journey and the others are a record of daily activities in Oregon.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Isom Cranfill was a minister in the Regular Predestinarian Baptist Church. He was born in North Carolina and moved to Tennessee and Illinois before coming overland to Oregon in 1847. He was justice of the peace in Clackamas County in 1848 and ran a general store in Oregon City, from 1849-1850. Cranfill later moved to Peoria, Albany, Roseburg, Lookingglass, and Eugene, working as a cabinetmaker, farmer, and itinerant preacher.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists mainly of diaries: 1847, 1860, and 1863–1877 (16 volumes). The 1847 diary is an account of his overland journey and the others are a record of daily activities in Oregon. In 1870, Cranfill was charged with doctrinal and polity irregularities by the Mount Zion Church in Roseburg. A copy of the charge, and Cranfill's reply, are included in the collection. In connection with this incident, Cranfill edited and published three numbers (volume 1, number 1, February 1870; volume 1, number 2, July 1870; volume 1, number 3, May 1872) of Zion's Messenger (Portland and Roseburg, 1870-1872). These have been removed to the Oregon Collection (286.405 Z67). The collection also includes financial materials; 9 issues of Signs of the Times, 1897–1903; and two account books.
Several works are based on the Isom Cranfill papers, including: Miller, Clifford R. Baptist Beginnings in Oregon (Ph. D., History, University of Oregon, 1955) and Warden, Albert T. Baptists in Oregon (Portland, 1969).
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Isom Cranfill papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Pioneers--West (U.S.)--Diaries
- Primitive Baptists
- Primitive Baptists--Oregon
- Cranfill, Isom
- Oregon National Historic Trail
- Oregon Territory--History