First Unitarian Church Exhibit: Architecture of Jamieson Parker Photographs, 1911-circa 1970 PDF
- First Unitarian Church (Portland, Or.)
- First Unitarian Church Exhibit: Architecture of Jamieson Parker Photographs
- 1911-circa 1970 (inclusive)19111970
circa 1970 (bulk)19701970
- 0.36 cubic feet, (46 photographs in 1 box)
- Collection Number
- Org. Lot 102
- Photographs mounted for a 1974 exhibit, “An Exposition on the Fiftieth Anniversary of the First Unitarian Church.” Most of the collection consists of images of buildings and churches designed by Jamieson Parker, Portland, Or., architect and noted architectural historian. Most of the images were made in the early 1970s for the exhibit by an unidentified photographer.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities. Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Jamieson Kirkwood Parker (1895-1939) was born in Portland to Horatio H. and Charlotte Boykin Parker and died at his hometown. While in high school, Parker worked in the offices of Portland architect, A.E. Doyle. He designed the lettering on the exterior of the Multnomah County Public Library in downtown Portland during this time. After graduating from the Portland Academy, he earned a degree in architecture at the University of Pennsylvania in 1916 and opened an architectural office in Portland that year.
Parker designed mostly churches and residences, primarily in Portland, but also elsewhere in the state. He also designed residences in Washington state and Victoria, British Columbia. Most of his designs reflect Colonial revival influences, but his work also shows Arts and Crafts, Classical, English, and Romanesque influences.
A noted architectural historian, Parker was director of the Historic American Buildings Survey, District 39 (Oregon and Washington), 1934-1938. He also served as president of the American Institute of Architects. Later, he joined the Federal Housing Authority in Portland, and, at the time of his death, Parker was one of its directors. He was active in Columbia Gorge conservation and worked on preservation of the Pioneer Courthouse in downtown Portland. Parker married Margaret Biddle in 1923, and they had three children.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of photographs mounted for a 1974 exhibit, “An Exposition on the Fiftieth Anniversary of the First Unitarian Church.” Most of the collection consists of images of buildings and churches designed by Jamieson Parker and photographed in the early 1970s for the exhibit by an unidentified photographer. Also included is one ca. 1930 original unmounted print of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church. A few images of Parker, his home, and documents relating to his life were reproduced from originals that date ca. 1911-circa 1930. Most of the buildings included in the collection are located in Portland, but a few are located elsewhere in Oregon, including Chiloquin, Milwaukie, and the Hood River Valley.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any publication use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
First Unitarian Church Exhibit of Jamieson Parker Architectural photographs collection, Org. Lot 102, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Series A: Churches and Residences Designed by Jamieson Parker, circa 1930-circa 1970, (bulk circa 1970) Return to Top
Among residences included in this series are homes that Parker designed for his parents in Portland, Or., and for his own family in Milwaukie, Or. Images in the series are arranged in folders, alphabetically by name of the church or homeowner’s last name. The folder title includes the address of the structure and the date it was built, when known. Folders are arranged alphabetically by last name of the owner for whom the residence was built or name of the church.
George Black residence, 3366 S.W. Talbot Road, Portland (built 1929)
Donald M. Drake residence, 2724 S.W. Old Orchard Road, Portland (built 1921)
Edward J. Failing residence, 1889 S.W. Montgomery Place, Portland (built 1929)
John Fishback residence, 7614 S.E 27th Avenue, Portland
James Gillison residence, 1710 S.E. Waverly Road, Milwaukie (built 1922)
Frederick Greenwood residence, 248 S.W. Kingston Avenue, Portland (built 1930)
Edmund Hayes residence, 01911 S.W. Military Road, Portland (built 1930)
Phillip L. Jackson residence, 11522 S.W. Riverwood Road, Portland (built 1926-1927)
E. G. Jarvis residence, 6224 S.E. 29th Avenue, Portland (built 1914)
Julius Kummel residence, 2546 S.W. Arden Road, Portland (built 1920)
Milton Markewitz residence, 2165 S.W. Main Street, Portland (built 1924)
Roland W. Mersereau residence, 01960 SW Military Road, Portland
John Montague residence, 1831 S.W. Edgewood Road, Portland (built 1926)
Chester Moores residence, 6229 S.E. 30th Avenue, Portland (built 1923)
Dent Mowrey residence, 1062 S.W. Douglas Place, Portland (built 1929)
Alfred F. Parker residence, 3017 S.E. Tolman Street, Portland (built 1922)
Jamieson K. Parker residence, 9911 S.E. Cambridge Lane, Milwaukie (built 1929)
E.R. Pooley residence, Hood River Valley (built 1926-1928)
Includes photographic reproduction of an elevation drawing, ca. 1926
|1926; circa 1970|
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, N.W 21st Avenue and Marshall Street, Portland (built 1925)
|circa 1930; circa 1970|
John W. Schuler residence, 6303 S.E. 30th Avenue, Portland (built 1922)
Waldemar Spliid residence, 2623 S.W. Park Place, Portland (built 1923)
A.D. Thrane residence, 1750 S.W. Talbot Road, Portland
First Unitarian Church, S.W. 12th Avenue and Salmon Street, Portland (built 1924)
Lawrence R. Wheeler residence, 11710 S.W. Summerville Avenue, Portland (built 1926-1927)
Henry W. Wessinger residence, 12550 S.W. Edgecliff Road, Portland (built 1928)
D. O. Williams residence, Yamsi Ranch, Chiloquin, Oregon (built 1930-1931)
Series B: Other Related Images, circa 1911-circa 1970Return to Top
This series includes ca. 1970 reproductions of mostly earlier images related to Jamieson Parker, his education, and his architectural career.
Seat at Main Library (S.W. 10th Avenue and Taylor Street, Portland)
Portrait of Jamieson Parker
Portland Academy certificate and mechanical drawings
University of Pennsylvania diploma
Whitman House, Farmington, Connecticut
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Church architecture--Oregon
- Colonial revival (Architecture)--Oregon
- Dwellings--Oregon--Hood River County
- Personal Names :
- Parker, Jamieson Kirkwood, 1895-1939, architect
- Corporate Names :
- Episcopal Church--Oregon--Portland
- First Unitarian Church (Portland, Or.)
- St. Mark's Episcopal Church (Portland, Or.)
- Geographical Names :
- Chiloquin (Or.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
- Hood River County (Or.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
- Milwaukie (Or.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints