Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Lawrence, Tucker and Wallmann records , 1926-1960
Overview of the Collection
- Lawrence, Tucker & Wallmann (Portland, Or.)
- Lawrence, Tucker and Wallmann records
- 1926-1960 (inclusive)19261960
11.75 linear feet, (6 containers, 6 folders)
- Collection Number
- Coll 113
- Lawrence, Tucker & Wallmann was an architectural firm in Portland, Oregon, from 1946-1960. It was the successor firm to Tucker and Wallmann, and Lawrence and Lawrence, two other Portland, Oregon firms. The principals of the firm were Abbott Lawrence, Ernest F. Tucker, and George R. Wallmann. The collection includes project files, drawings, and film.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
See the Current Collection Guide for detailed description and requesting options.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The architectural firm of Lawrence, Tucker and Wallmann (1946-1960) was based in Portland, Oregon and enjoyed a reputation of national prominence. Principals of the firm, formed in 1946, included H. Abbott Lawrence (1906-1967), Ernest F. Tucker (1900-1976), and George Wallmann (1906-1984). Lawrence, Tucker and Wallmann was the successor firm for Tucker and Wallmann (1933-1946) and Lawrence and Lawrence (1944-1946), the firm of Ellis F. Lawrence and his son H. Abbott Lawrence. The firm was responsible for buildings at the University of Oregon both in Eugene and Portland, as well as buildings for the Oregon Zoo and Portland State University.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Records of Lawrence, Tucker and Wallmann consist primarily of project files. These files are arranged in numerical order by job number. Contents within each file appear in reverse chronological order and are comprised of correspondence between the firm, its clients and contractors. Also included in the collection are a few early letters from the firm of Lawrence and Holford, dating back to 1926, concerning the University of Oregon Medical School hospital. Additionally, there are letters from the firm Lawrence and Lawrence, dating from 1944-1946.
Drawings in the collection are arranged according to job number. For the most part they represent work done by Lawrence, Tucker and Wallmann at the University of Oregon in Eugene and the University of Oregon Medical School in Portland, although other projects are included. It should be noted that drawings are not available for every project file listed in the finding aid.
The collection includes 73 prints of projects, including the Erb Memorial Union at UO and the UO Medical School (now Oregon Health & Science University). The collection also contains a reel-to-reel film of the construction of the University of Oregon Medical School Hospital.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Architecture--Oregon--Designs and plans
- Holford, William G.
- Lawrence, Ellis F. (Ellis Fuller), 1879-1946
- Lawrence, H. Abbott
- Tucker, Ernest F.
- Wallmann, George R.
- Lawrence & Holford (Portland, Or.)
- Lawrence & Lawrence (Portland, Or.)
- Portland State College
- University of Oregon
Form or Genre Terms
- Architectural drawings
- Moving Image