Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Gary Jolliff Papers, 1962-2004
Overview of the Collection
- Jolliff, Gary D.
- Gary Jolliff Papers
- 1962-2004 (inclusive)19622004
- 25 cubic feet, including 18 photographs, (25 boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS Jolliff
- The Gary Joliff Papers document the research, teaching, and professional service activities of Joliff, a faculty member in the Oregon State University Crop Science Department from 1976 until his retirement in 2002. Jolliff specialized in the study of meadowfoam and its development as a crop in the Willamette Valley and lead the Oregon Experiment Station new crops research project from 1978 until 2002.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Gary D. Jolliff joined the Oregon State University faculty in 1976 as an Associate Professor in the Crop Science Department, specializing in the study of meadowfoam and its development as a domesticated crop in the Willamette Valley. As a part of his meadowfoam research, Jolliff headed up the Oregon Experiment Station Research New Crops Research Project 481 from 1978 until his retirement in 2002.
Jolliff earned BS and MS degrees from The Ohio State University and his Ph.D. from Colorado State University. He held faculty positions at the University of Nebraska (1969-1971) and Texas A and I University (1971-1976) prior to arriving at OSU.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Gary Jolliff Papers consist of materials generated and collected by Crop and Soil Science professor Gary Jolliff and include article reprints, conference papers, correspondence, course materials, curriculum vitae, grant proposals, meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, notes, overhead transparencies, publications, photographs, reports, speech transcripts, and a thesis. The Jolliff Papers primarily document Jolliff's research of meadowfoam and other plants such as cuphea, soybeans, and rapeseed. The materials also reflect Jolliff's career as instructor of crop science courses, participation in conferences and workshops, involvement in professional organizations, testimony before congress and the Oregon legislature on agriculture-related bills, and participation on various departmental and university committees. The photographic images consist of a slide presentation (17 images in all) on meadowfoam research and a print of a field of meadowfoam.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.
The Agricultural Experiment Station Records (RG 25) include additional materials pertaining to agricultural research projects at Oregon State University. The Archives collections include the Crop Science Department Records (RG 95), the Farm Crops Department Photographs (P 130) as well as the papers of several crop science faculty: Floyd E. Bolton, Te May Ching; Donald David Hill; Dale Moss, Kenneth A. Rykbost, and Harry August Schoth.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Agricultural education--Oregon.
- Burning of land--Environmental aspects--Oregon--Willamette Valley.
- New crops--Research--Oregon.
- Oilseed plants--Development--Oregon.
- Oregon State University. Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Oregon State University. Dept. of Crop Science.
Form or Genre Terms