Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Editorial Files for Jefferson's Western Explorations, 2003-2004
Overview of the Collection
- Erickson, Doug; Merchant, Paul; Skinner, Jeremy
- Editorial Files for Jefferson's Western Explorations
- 2003-2004 (inclusive)20032004
- 1.5 cubic feet, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- This collection includes the research files, drafts, and correspondence with the publisher, Arthur H. Clark, for the book Jefferson's Western Explorations edited by Doug Erickson, Paul Merchant, and Jeremy Skinner, and published in 2004.
Lewis & Clark College, Special Collections and Archives
Aubrey R. Watzek Library
615 S. Palatine Hill Rd.
- Access Restrictions
This collection has no restrictions and is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Thomas Jefferson's 1806 Message provided the U.S. Congress, the American people, and interested parties throughout the world with a summary not only of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, but of the explorations William Dunbar and George Hunter on the Ouachita, and Dr. John Sibley's researches on the Red River territory, and an introduction by Jefferson. The book was first published in Washington and New York in 1806. Later in the same year, William Dunbar of Natchez, Mississippi reprinted the Message in an extremely small edition (of which this book is an edited and annotated facsimile). The Natchez edition included extracts from Dunbar's journal, as well as significant botanical observations not printed in those earlier editions. As such, the Natchez reprint is distinctly valuable in providing this unique information. The value of this Message from the President, in addition to its rarity, is in the wealth of information it provided to individuals in the early nineteenth century about the wilderness in the unknown West, and the insights provided to today's reader.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Includes research notes, digital files, photocopies, correspondence, and manuscript drafts.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish, exhibit, broadcast, or quote from materials in the Watzek Library Archives & Special Collections requires written permission of the Head of Archives & Special Collections.
The Research Files for Jefferson's Western Explorations (OLPb063JEF), Lewis & Clark College Aubrey Watzek Library Archives & Special Collections, Portland, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Arranged in a single series of files in original order.
Location of CollectionSpecial Collections
Donated to Lewis & Clark College by Doug Erickson, Paul Merchant, and Jeremy Skinner.
Processed in 2012.
Erickson, Doug, Jeremy Skinner, and Paul Merchant, Jefferson's Western Explorations. Spokane, Wash. : Arthur H. Clark Co., c2004.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Lewis and Clark Expedition (1804-1806)
- West (U.S.) -- Discovery and exploration
- Clark, William, 1770-1838 (creator)
- Dunbar, William, 1749-1810 (creator)
- Erickson, Doug (creator)
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826 (creator)
- King, N. (Nicholas), 1771-1812 (creator)
- Lewis, Meriwether, 1774-1809 (creator)
- Merchant, Paul (creator)
- Sibley, John, 1757-1837 (creator)
- Skinner, Jeremy (creator)
Titles within the Collection
- Message from the President of the United States