Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Donald L. Mason Photographs, circa 1915-1935
- Mason, Donald L. (Donald Lyman)
- Donald L. Mason Photographs
- circa 1915-1935 (inclusive)19121937
circa 1925-1935 (bulk)19221937
- 0.05 cubic foot, including 51 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- P 290
- The Donald L. Mason Photographs depict the Oregon State College campus foundry facilities, items made at the foundry, and students in foundry classes. Mason earned a BS in Industrial Arts from Oregon State College in 1937 and was Foundry Instructor in the Industrial Arts Department until 1943.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Donald L. Mason earned a BS in Industrial Arts from Oregon State College in 1937. Mason enrolled at Oregon State in the fall of 1930 after graduating from Eugene High School. He attended Oregon State full time during the 1930/31 through 1934/35 academic years. For the next two years (1935/36 and 1936/37), he was an undergradaute assistant in industrial arts and took a few courses per term to complete his degree. Following graduation, Mason was the Foundry Instructor in the Industrial Arts Department until 1943, when he accepted an appointment as Teaching Specialist in Foundry Practice at Stanford University. Donald Lyman Mason was born in Harmony, Minnesota, on January 14, 1911. After his father's sudden death in 1919, Mason's mother moved with her children to Eugene, Oregon, to live with her parents.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Donald L. Mason Photographs consist of images taken and collected by Mason during his student years and as an Industrial Arts Instructor at Oregon State College. The images depict the campus foundry and other industrial arts facilities, items made at the foundry, techniques such as sand molding, and students in foundry classes. The collection includes a photograph of Ambrose Ridenour, who was a foundry instructor at Oregon State from 1911 until about 1933. The brass and metal objects featured in the photographs include candelabras, a sundial, door knockers, lamps and a knife handle. The collection also includes printed illustrations of tools and machinery for metal making sold by the Artcraft Company and the Central Engraving Company (both of Cleveland).
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Donald L. Mason Photographs (P 290), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The photographs were donated by Irene Jenkins, Mason's daughter, in 2012.
The Industrial Arts and Industrial Manufacturing Department (P 189) and College of Engineering (P 069) Photographs include images of the foundry and industrial arts shops. Additional information about industrial arts instruction at Oregon State is available in the College of Engineering Records (RG 062).
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Industrial arts teachers--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Industrial arts--Study and teaching--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
- Oregon Agricultural College. Department of Industrial Arts.
- Oregon State College--Students.
- Oregon State College. Department of Industrial Arts.
Form or Genre Terms
- Photographic prints.