- Saljooghi, Azadeh
- Azadeh Saljooghi independent film collection
- 2000-2003 (inclusive)20002003
- 1 DVD
- Collection Number
- The Azadeh Saljooghi independent film collection (2003) consists of short experimental, narrative and documentary films Saljooghi made while a student in the University of Utah's film department. Some of the films deal with Middle Eastern history and culture. A native of Iran, Dr. Saljooghi teaches communications and information studies at the American University in Dubai. This collection is part of the Utah Independent Film Archive (UIFA).
- University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections.
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Materials must be used on-site; no use of original material, access copies will be made available for viewing. Five business days advanced notice required. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law, condition of the material, or by donor.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Dr. Azadeh Saljooghi grew up in Tehran, Iran. After moving to the United States of America, Saljooghi earned a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in computer science and a Master of Science (MS) degree in applied statistics from Utah State University and a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in English literature, a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree in film studies and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in communication. She is an assistant professor of communications and information studies at the American University in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Azadeh Saljooghi independent film collection (2003) consists of short experimental, narrative and documentary films Saljooghi made while a student in the University of Utah's film department. Some of the films deal with Middle Eastern history and culture. This collection is part of the Utah Independent Film Archive (UIFA).
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||5 films by Azadeh Saljooghi
1. "We Arrive Here Improvised," a short experimental piece that opens with bats hanging down and cuts to an image of three people lying on their backs facing the camera. The audio sounds like a very sped-up tape with some music in the background. 0:24.2. "Not An Ordinary Classic," an experimental piece that opens with images of the Middle East interspersed with shots of what appears to be the Salt Lake City skyline. The music for the first third of the piece is traditional Middle Eastern. Then the audio changes to a more contemporary, jazz-influenced music over shots of a couple kissing and touching one another. The music changes again and the images become more like the Middle-eastern images shown in the beginning of the piece. Title cards saying "The Beginning" "The Middle" and "Climax" come before each change of imagery. 4:34.3. "Collaged Realities," an experimental documentary using traditional Middle-eastern music with images from the Middle East (places, people, text) to explore the filmmaker's ethnic history and culture. 6:08.4. "Do rageh (Two Bloods)," a documentary exploring the life of Ali Amishrashti, a native of Salt Lake City, Utah, who was born to an Iranian father and a caucasian American mother. Images of the Marriott Library's Middle East Library as well as images from some its holdings are interspersed with images of Amishranti's home, friends, and family. 12:44.5. "Just Passing Through," a short narrative piece about a young man coming over to his girlfriend's apartment. The woman is Middle Eastern and the man is caucasian. The piece takes place entirely within the woman's apartment and has no music. 7:36.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Independent filmmakers
- Middle Eastern Americans
- University of Utah
Form or Genre Terms
- Moving images