Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
- Overview of the Collection
- Content Description
- Administrative Information
- Detailed Description of the Collection
- Names and Subjects
King Mining Company Records, 1908-1961
Overview of the Collection
- King Mining Company
- King Mining Company Records
- 1908-1961 (inclusive)19081961
- 2.5 cubic feet
- Collection Number
- MG251 (collection)
- Correspondence and organizational, stock, financial and other records of a company, 1943-1947, owned in part by the Hercules Mining Company and other mines, which was established to consolidate fifteen properties in the Leland and Hunter Mining Districts of Idaho. Portions of the correspondence extend from 1908-1961.
University of Idaho Library, Special Collections and Archives
Special Collections and Archives
University of Idaho Library
875 Perimeter Drive
- Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.
Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
On August 24, 1943, the King Mining Company was formed, consolidating fifteen properties north of Mullan and east of Burke, Idaho. These properties included 176 patented claims -- encompassing 3177 acres, three mill sites, thirty-five unpatented claims, and a sixteen acre tract of land. John Wourms chaired of the meeting and Wallace Sanford kept the minutes. Attending were Roy W. Anno, Henry Buhrmester, and H.V. Kiebert. Anno nominated the others to act as the first official members of the board.
Following the incorporation meeting, the first board meeting was held to elect officers. Anno was named president; Kiebert, vice-president; Sanford, secretary-treasurer; Paul Jessup, Comptroller, and Wourms, attorney. The company, according to the minutes (p. 11), "...was organized for the purpose of acquiring a group of mining claims or properties in Lelande and Hunter Mining Districts, owned by various corporations, and that under the plan of reorganization, shares would be issued for the purpose of these concerns in the following amounts:"
|Company to whom King stock issued||No. of Claims for which issued||No. of shares issued|
At the next meeting, held March 1, 1945, new directors were elected. These included, Henry Day, F.M. Rothrock, and W.N. Sanford. R.W. Anno was elected president and Henry Buhrmester, vice-president. The board meeting followed: Henry Day was elected president and manager, and F.M. Rothrock vice-president. The only other order of business was accepting a $3,000 loan from the Hercules to pay-off the company's liabilities.
At the final meeting of the Directors, on June 18, 1947, the decision was made to consolidate King Mining Company with the Hercules and ten other companies, creating Day Mines Incorporated.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The records of the King Mining Company span the years 1908 to 1961, with the bulk of the material covering the years 1943 to 1947. Included are meeting minutes, correspondence, stock records and financial records
See Henry Day's Personal Papers for more records relating to King Mining Company.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The records of the King Mining Company fall into four series: Records of the Directors, General Correspondence, Capital Stock Records, and Financial Records. The first series reflects activities of the board of directors and the stockholders. The second series contains correspondence, several items of which pre-date this company by many years, and a few which postdate it. The bulk of the third series, capital stock records, are stock transfer sheets, organized alphabetically. The final series contains the scant financial record of this company: a check register and a voucher register. Removal of returned proxy notices, and cancelled and nonissued stock certificates reduced the bulk of this collection by 1.5 cubic feet.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I. Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders , 1943-1947Return to Top
By-laws and articles of incorporation
Records relating to meetings
|Sept. 24, 1947|
Series II. General Correspondence and Related Records , 1908-1961Return to Top
Misc. records and correspondence
Cassiar Crown Mining Co.
Copper King Mining & Smelting Co., mining property and transfer holding in King stock
|1908, 1930-1931, 1942-1947|
Ford, Frank D.: stock transfers
Gibson, E.J., and Co.: stock transfers
Hacer, L.F., and Co.: stock transfers
Homestake Mining Co.
Lavigne, Edwin, and Co.: stock transfers
Lease: Harry W. Ingalls, Copper King Mine
Marsh Mines Consolidated: partial liquidating dividend
Marsh Mines Consolidated: stock transfers and various papers
Merril, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner, and Beane
Mining property, East Hecla Mining Co.
National Copper Mining Co., Ltd.: transfer holding into King stock
Pennaluna and Co.
Pohlman, Edw., trustee: certificates for non-payment assessments
Standard Securities Corp.
Tax, State Income, returns
Transfer stock: East Hecla Mining Co., Ltd.
Transfer stock: Imperial Mine
Transfer stock, Sonora Mining and Milling Co.
Annual reports and statements
Series III. Capital Stock Records , 1943-1947Return to Top
Stock transfer sheets, A-D
Stock transfer sheets, E-Z
Series IV. Financial Records , 1943-1947Return to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Lead mines and mining -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District -- History -- Sources
- Mining corporations -- Records -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District
- Silver mines and mining -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District -- History -- Sources
- King Mining Company