Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Asia University America Program Photographs, circa 1988-1992
- Asia University America Program (Oregon State University)
- Asia University America Program Photographs
- circa 1988-1992 (inclusive)19881994
- 0.95 cubic foot, including 1300 photographs, (3 boxes, including 1 oversize box )
- Collection Number
- P 209
- The Asia University America Program Photographs document the programs, activities, and participants of the Asia University America Program (AUAP) at Oregon State University, established at OSU in 1988 to bring Japanese students to OSU for intensive English language training.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Asia University America Program was established at OSU in 1988 to bring Japanese students from the Asia University in Tokyo to OSU for intensive English language training as well as classes in American history and culture and physical education. The English Language Institute designed and implemented the program, which was also established at three Washington universities. The program at OSU was closed in August 1994.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
These photographs document the programs, activities, and participants of the Asia University America Program (AUAP) at OSU. Subjects include Japanese and American students; AUAP faculty and staff; OSU President John Byrne and Asia University administrators; recreational activities including snow skiing; celebrations (including "Coming of Age" Day) and parties (including Halloween and Christmas); graduation ceremonies; campus buildings and views; athletics and campus events; views of Corvallis, Oregon; and trips by AUAP participants to various Oregon sites and events including the Portland Rose Festival and the Oregon coast.
This collection consists primarily of color prints, some color negatives, and a few b/w prints. Most of the prints have been affixed to self-adhesive photo album pages; the pages have been removed from the albums.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Asia University America Program Photographs (P 209), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
None of the images have been assigned individual numbers. They are organized by photo album (roughly chronological) and loose prints and negatives are stored separately.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis
- College sports--Oregon--Corvallis
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis
- English language--Study and teaching--Japanese speakers
- Japanese students--Oregon--Corvallis
- Skis and skiing-Oregon
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis
- Byrne, John Vincent, 1928-
- Oregon State University--Faculty
- Oregon State University--Students
- Portland Rose Festival
Form or Genre Terms
- Film negatives
- Photograph albums
- Photographic prints