Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Apprenticeship Program Records, 1976-2006
- Seattle City Light
- Apprenticeship Program Records
- 1976-2006 (inclusive)19762006
- 1 cubic foot, (3 boxes )
- Collection Number
- Miscellaneous history, standards, curriculum, hiring processes of the Apprenticeship program at Seattle City Light.
Seattle Municipal Archives
Seattle Municipal Archives
Office of the City Clerk
City of Seattle
PO Box 94728
- Access Restrictions
Records are open to the public.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
City Light provides electricity and electrical and conservation services to its public and private customers. It is the largest public utility in the Pacific Northwest. Public responsibility for electrical energy dates back to 1890 with creation of the Department of Lighting and Water Works. The formulation of this public utility stemmed from fear of monopolization by private companies and was reinforced by the inadequacy of those companies during the Great Fire of 1889. Unable to gain access to private water, much of the business district was burned to the ground. Citizens responded eagerly to the idea of publicly owned water and electricity, which was later encouraged as part of President Roosevelt's New Deal in the 1930s.
In 1902, Seattle voters passed a bond issue to develop hydroelectric power on the Cedar River under the administration of the Water Department. This was the nation's first municipally owned hydroelectric project. Electricity from this development began to serve customers in Seattle in 1905. A City Charter amendment in 1910 created the Lighting Department, making it a full member of the City's Board of Public Works. Under the leadership of Superintendent James D. Ross, the department developed the Skagit River hydroelectric project which began supplying power in 1924 with the completion of the Gorge Dam.
Both public and private power was supplied to Seattle until 1951 when the City purchased the local private electrical power company, the Puget Sound Power and Light Company, making the Lighting Department the sole supplier. The Boundary Project in northeastern Washington began operations in 1967 and supplied over half of City Light's power generation.
The current name of the agency was adopted in 1978 when the department was reorganized. As a municipally owned public power system, Seattle City Light is governed by elected Seattle officials. Administrative authority rests with the Superintendent and an executive team that includes the department's Chief of Staff, Service and Energy Delivery Officer, Human Resources Officer, Power Supply and Environmental Affairs Officer, and Chief Financial Officer. City Light is responsible for electrical service and streetlight service, streetlight problems, and also conservation, both residential and commercial/industrial.
City Light provides low-cost, reliable, and environmentally responsible electric power to approximately 395,000 customers in Seattle and neighboring areas, including Burien, Lake Forest Park, Normandy Park, Renton, SeaTac, Shoreline, Tukwila, and unincorporated King County. It is the ninth-largest public power system in the United States and has the lowest rates among comparably sized cities in the United States.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Apprenticeship program at Seattle City Light is an extensive technical training program that lasts two or more years. The apprentice takes classes at community colleges and gains physical training, field experience, and technical training. This series contains program standards, curriculum, on-boarding materials, hiring processes, program information, apprentice correspondence, sub-programs, state-wide apprentice standards, and Seattle City Light information.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Item and date], Apprenticeship Program Records, Record Series 1215-01. Box [number], Folder [number]. Seattle Municipal Archives.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||2||Apprenticeship History/Standards 1/3||1949-2007|
|1||3||Apprenticeship History/Standards 2/3||1949-2007|
|1||4||Apprenticeship History/Standards 3/3||1949-2007|
|1||6||Apprentice Program Curriculum||1949-2007|
|1||7||Miscellaneous Apprenticeship Information||1949-2007|
|2||2||Water Pipe Worker Apprentice Program||2000|
|2||3||Training for Trainers||1990-1997|
|2||4||Apprentice Program Information 1/2||1976-1980|
|2||5||Apprentice Program Information 1/3||1992|
|2||5||Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee Minutes||2003-2005|
|2||6||Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council||1986-2002|
|2||7||Pre-Apprenticeship Intro Manual||1999|
|2||8||Advisory Committee Information||1976|
|3||3||Northwest Utilities Training Alliance||1994-1997|
|3||5||SCL Vision, Mission, and Values Reorganization||2006-2008|
|3||6||WA Apprenticeship Division||1979-1980|
|3||7||Bonneville Power Administration||1980|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Advisory boards--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Apprenticeship programs--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Electric utilities--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Water-pipes--Maintenance and repair--Washington (State)--Seattle