- Hands Off Washington (Organization). Kitsap County Coalition
- Hands Off Washington, Kitsap County Coalition records
- 1992-1996 (inclusive)19921996
- .42 cubic feet (1 box)
- Collection Number
- 5335 (Accession No. 5335-001)
- Records of Hands Off Washington, Kitsap County Coalition, an organization that opposed anti-gay initiatives.
University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
The records are open to all users.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was partially provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Hands Off Washington Kitsap County Coalition, based in Bremerton, Washington, was a regional division of the statewide Hands Off Washington, a program of Washington Citizens for Fairness. Washington Citizens for Fairness was formed in 1992 as a not-for-profit, political organizing committee "to defeat political efforts to limit or deny the civil rights of any resident in our state." In 1994, the group formed Hands Off Washington (HOW) to defeat legislation that would deny civil rights to individuals based on their "actual or perceived sexual orientation." Targeted legislation included Initiative 608, which opposed the establishment of sexual orientation as a protected category similar to age or race; Initiative 166 (similar to 608); and Initiative 167, which was intended to ban adoptions by homosexual individuals or couples. Initiative 608 was defeated in 1995, and Initiatives 166 and 167 were defeated in the following year. Hands Off Washington's name refers to the fact that much of this legislation was proposed and supported by the same anti-gay activists who proposed similar initiatives that passed in Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The records cover the years 1992-1996, with the bulk of the material dating from 1993 and 1994. The Kitsap County Coalition series includes general organizational information; intra-organizational correspondence; a small amount of general correspondence, including letters from local organizations endorsing the Kitsap County Coalition and its mission, and one from Dave Swartout, a local activist; minutes of Kitsap County Coalition meetings; news clippings and other articles on relevant issues and events; mailing lists, membership lists, and lists of local legislators and media contacts; and ephemera, including fund-raising mailings. The statewide Hands Off Washington series includes similar types of material — intraorganizational correspondence, clippings, ephemera — as well as planning budgets and informational materials from other regional Hands Off Washington chapters and organizations with similar goals.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The creator's literary rights have not been transferred to the University of Washington Libraries.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Arranged in two series:
- Hands Off Washington, Kitsap County Coalition records, 1993-1996
- Statewide Hands Off Washington records, 1992-1996
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Hands Off Washington, Kitsap Coalition recordsReturn to Top
Speeches and writings
Includes a paper entitled "Summary of Discussion Points, Traditional Values Coalition Videotape, 'Gay Rights/Special Rights,' " written by Renée DeLapp.
Contains lists of local legislators and media organizations as well as lists of volunteers, meeting attendees, and donors/members.
Statewide Hands Off Washington recordsReturn to Top
Report: summary report from Hands Off Washington thinktank
Idaho Citizens Alliance
Oregon Speaks Out project
Contains information concerning other regional Hands Off Washington groups and the City of Tacoma Hate Crimes Task Force.
Contains several pages of unsigned, handwritten notes from a planning meeting. They were presumably taken by Sue Ablas, who donated the Kitsap Coalition records, was active in the Kitsap Coalition, and was also on the board of the statewide Hands Off Washington.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Gay liberation movement--Washington (State)--Kitsap County
- Gay rights--Washington (State)
- Gay rights--Washington (State)--Kitsap County
- Gays--Legal status, laws, etc.--Washington (State)
- Homosexuality--Law and legislation--Washington (State)
- Personal Papers/Corporate Records (University of Washington)
- Referendum--Washington (State)
- Hands Off Washington (Organization)
- Hands Off Washington (Organization). Kitsap County Coalition--Archives
- Washington (State)--Social conditions--20th century
Form or Genre Terms
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- financial records