Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
John Clyde Marquis papers , 1904-1960
- Marquis, John Clyde, 1881-1965
- John Clyde Marquis papers
- 1904-1960 (inclusive)19041960
3.5 linear feet, (3 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 758
- John Clyde Marquis (1881-1965) was an editor of agricultural and gentlemen's magazines and served in the U.S. Bureau of Agricultural Economics. The collection contains personal and professional correspondence, files and correspondence on the International Institute of Agriculture, the American Committee of the International Institute of Agriculture, and the World Agricultural Society.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
John Clyde Marquis (1881-1965) was born in Madison, Indiana and educated at Purdue University. He was editor of American Agriculturalist from 1904-1908, and of Country Gentlemen, 1911-1920. He became the director of Public Information of the Bureau of Agricultural Economics, U.S.D.A., from 1922-1935. Marquis also served as the American delegate to the International Institute of Agriculture from 1935-1941. From 1942 till 1946 he was active in the World Agricultural Society.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains personal and professional correspondence, correspondence and files on the International Institute of Agriculture, the American Committee of the International Institute of Agriculture, and the World Agricultural Society.
Major correspondents among the American Committee of the International Institute of Agriculture files are Charles J. Brand, Olivia Rossetti Agresti, and Charlotte B. Ware.
The major correspondent among the World Agricultural Society files is Laurence H. Parker.
Major correspondents among a separate section of personal and professional correspondence are Olivia Rossetti Agresti, Charles J. Brand, Kenyon L. Butterfield, Country Gentleman Publishers, Orange Judd Co. Publishers, Giuseppi U. Papi, Laura L. Saqui, Anne D. Taylor, and Henry C. Taylor.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the John Clyde Marquis Papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Agriculture and state--United States--History--20th century
- Agriculture--Economic aspects--United States--History--20th century
- Agriculture--Economic aspects.
- Agriculture--United States--History--20th century
- Agriculturists--United States
- Agresti, Olivia Rossetti
- Brand, Charles John, 1879-
- Marquis, John Clyde, 1881-1965
- International Institute of Agriculture
- International Institute of Agriculture. American Committee
- United States. Bureau of Agricultural Economics
- World Agricultural Society
Form or Genre Terms