- Oregon State University. Dept. of English.
- English Department Photographs
- ca. 1960 (inclusive)19601960
- 17 negatives
- Collection Number
- P 222
- The English Department Photographs consist exclusively of images Bernard Malamud, novelist and Oregon State College English professor.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Novelist Bernard Malamud was an English professor at Oregon State College from 1949 to 1961. During this time he wrote three novels: The Natural (1952), The Assistant (1957), and A New Life (1961) as well as a collection of short stories, The Magic Barrel (1959) for which he received the National Book Award. He was presented OSU's Distinguished Service Award in 1969.
English has been part of the curriculum since the founding of the University in 1868. In the 1960s, the English Department became the first liberal arts department to offer a bachelor's degree.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of photographs of Bernard Malamud. The images include various views of Malamud, standing in front of a fireplace, crouching at a bookshelf, looking out of a window, and with a cat in his lap. The photographs may have been made in his home. All of the images are original camera negatives, primarily 4x5, with some 120 format.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
English Department Photographs (P 222), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Other photographs of Malamud are available in Harriet's Collection as well as the Gwil Evans (P 82) and Oregon Stater (P 195) Photographic Collections. Biographical information about Malamud is in the Memorabilia Collection. Other materials pertaining to the English Department are available in the Memorabilia Collection and the Sigurd H. and Ruth Peterson Papers.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Malamud, Bernard--Portraits.
Form or Genre Terms
- Film negatives.