Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Gertrude Jewett Greeley oral history , 1960
- Greeley, Gertrude Jewett, 1878-
- Gertrude Jewett Greeley oral history
- 1960 (inclusive)19601960
0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- CB G819
- Gertrude Jewett was the wife of William Buckhout Greeley, a forester and conservationist who worked during the first half of the twentieth century. Mrs. Greeley worked closely with her husband. The collection contains an oral interview of Gertrude Jewett from 1960 regarding her husband's career.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Mrs. (Gertrude Jewett) William Buckhout Greeley was born in 1878. The daughter of a congregational pastor, Gertrude attended University of California where she met William Buckhout Greeley. She worked as a public school teacher in California for five years, while William attended Yale University. In the summer of 1907, William returned to California and married Gertrude. The couple moved to New Haven, back to California, and then to Washington D. C. where they lived until 1929. Gertrude stayed interested in her husband's professional work throughout their marriage and was active in the local civic association.
Source: George T. Morgan, Jr., William B. Greeley: A Practical Forester (St. Paul, Minnesota: Forest History Society, Inc., 1961).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of an oral history interview with Mrs. William B. Greeley in Suquamish, Washington, in 1960, on the subject of her husband. The interview was conducted by Elwood R. Maunder, Forest History Foundation, Inc.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Foresters--United States
- Forests and forestry--United States
- Greeley, William Buckhout, 1879-1955
- United States. Forest Service
- West Coast Lumbermen's Association
Form or Genre Terms
- Oral histories