Archives West Finding Aid
The Archive of Māori and Pacific Music Collection of Field Recordings, Undated
- University of Auckland. Archive of Maori and Pacific Music
- The Archive of Māori and Pacific Music Collection of Field Recordings
- 46 audiotapes : EC - 23 reels (7 1/2 ips, full-track, 5"); WT - 23 reels (7 1/2 ips, 2 tr. stereo, 7")
- Collection Number
- Tapes from the Archive of Māori and Pacific Music, University of Auckland (Auckland, New Zealand) sent as part of a tape exchange. Includes recordings from the Solomon Islands, Tikopia, Marquesas, Tahiti, and Māoris.
University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
From their website https://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/ampm/:
"The Archive of Māori and Pacific Music comprises an ethnographic sound collection relating to the Pacific which is of national and international significance.
Established in 1970 to promote research into the music of the indigenous people of New Zealand, the Māori, and those of the people of the Pacific Islands, its holdings today include material from most tribal groups of New Zealand and most Pacific Islands areas, commercial and field recordings of vocal and instrumental music, oral histories, stories and language resources.
The Archive is open to the general public as well as researchers, scholars and students."
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Items announced on each tape.
ON1 Solomon Is./84-37.1-10 - Christine Cashmore, collector (field # 820 A/B-824 A/B) (total duration: 4:44:13)
OZ4 Maori/84-37.11-15 - Mervyn Mclean, collector (Mclean/Orbell 77/100-104)
OX6 Marquesas/84-37.16-18 - Hikaru Koide, collector (field # 78/034.1-3)
OX7 Tahiti/84-37.19-21 - Hikaru Koide, collector (field # 78/035.1-3)
OT11 Tikopia/84-37.22-23 - Mervyn Mclean, collector (field # AMPM 78/094-5)
Documentation: Photocopy of notes
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Maori (New Zealand people)
- Maori (New Zealand people)--Music
- Society Islands
- Solomon Islands
Form or Genre Terms
- Field recordings
- Sound recordings