Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Fear family papers , 1865-1931
- Fear family; Fear, William H., b. ca. 1859
- Fear family papers
- 1865-1931 (inclusive)18651931
3 linear feet, (6 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 034
- William H. Fear and his wife Lucia (Drum) Fear moved from Burlington, Kansas to Portland, Oregon in 1889. The collection contains correspondence, Fear and Drum family papers, medical case books, and files of Nora B. Green.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
William H. Fear and his wife Lucia (Drum) Fear moved from Burlington, Kansas to Portland, Oregon in 1889. Their son Lyle Fear was a naval officer on board the U.S.S. Olympia. Their daughter Lois Fear was trained as an osteopath and practiced in Portland.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains correspondence (about 1,500 letters), Fear and Drum family papers, medical case books, and files of Nora B. Green.
The correspondence written between 1881-1906 mainly concerns the courtship and marriage of William Fear and Lucia (Drum) Fear.
From 1905 to 1918 most of the letters are from the Fear children, Lyle, a student at Yale University Sheffield Scientific School (1905-1908), and Lois, a student at the University of California, Berkeley (1906-1908) and at Wellesley College (1908-1910).
Included in the collection are Lois Fear's school work, medical case books, and the papers, correspondence and other files of Nora B. Green, a teacher and spiritualist from Portland, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Fear Family Papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College students--United States--Correspondence
- Courtship--United States--History--19th century
- Marriage--United States--History--19th century
- Medical care--Oregon--Portland
- Women's rights
- Fear, Lois
- Fear, Lucia S
- Fear, Lyle
- Fear, William H., b. ca. 1859
- Green, Nora B.
- Drum family
- Fear family
Form or Genre Terms
- Medical records