Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Coeur D'Alene Mining & Smelting Company Records, 1904-1937
- Coeur D'Alene Mining & Smelting Company
- Coeur D'Alene Mining & Smelting Company Records
- 1904-1937 (inclusive)19041937
- 0.5 cubic feet
- Collection Number
- MG276 (collection)
- Minutes of meetings, a stock ledger and journal, and federal and state tax returns of a mine in the Placer Center Mining District of the Coeur d'Alene mining region of northern Idaho.
University of Idaho Library, Special Collections and Archives
Special Collections and Archives
University of Idaho Library
875 Perimeter Drive
- Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.
Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Coeur d'Alene Mining & Smelting Company was incorporated in the State of Idaho on July 18, 1904, with a capitalization of 1,000,000 shares at a par value of $1.00 a share. Stanley Fairweather was the president of the company until 1915 when he was succeeded by Dennis Goggin. In 1917 Alex D. Wallace became president and remained in that office until 1937.
The property of the company originally consisted of seven unpatented claims, about 140 acres, in the Placer Center District, 3.5 miles north of Wallace; three unpatented claims were acquired later. Development, financed by stock assessments, consisted of two tunnels, the upper one of 900 feet, and a lower one of 1400 feet, and a 100 foot shaft. The property became idle in 1935, and was absorbed by Dayrock Mining Company in 1937.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The records of the Coeur d'Alene Mining Company span the years 1904 to 1937. Included are minutes of meetings, a stock ledger and journal, and federal and state tax returns.
Related materials can be found in the records of the Dayrock Mining Company and the papers of Henry Day.
Removed from this collection were cancelled stock certificates.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I. Records , 1904-1937Return to Top
Federal and state tax returns
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Mining corporations -- Records -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District
- Coeur d'Alene Mining & Smelting Company