- Oregon Rockefeller Campaign Committee
- Oregon Rockefeller Campaign Committee records
- 1964-1964 (inclusive)19641964
- 9 linear feet, (6 containers) : 6 record storage boxes
- Collection Number
- Bx 121
- The Oregon Rockefeller Campaign Committee, chaired by William E. Walsh, ran Nelson Rockefeller's Presidential primary campaign in Oregon. The collection contains executive committee memoranda, committee minutes and reports, financial reports, ledgers, accounts and budget files, correspondence, office files, volunteer and supporter records, transcription recordings, visit and itinerary materials, personnel files, campaign literature, Republican convention materials, and newspaper clippings.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
UNARRANGED COLLECTION. UNAVAILABLE FOR USE. For more information, please submit a Notice of Interest in Unprocessed Collections.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Oregon Rockefeller Campaign Committee ran Nelson Rockefeller's Presidential primary campaign in Oregon. The chairman of the committee was former state senator and state Senate president, William E. Walsh.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Materials cover the period from January to May 25, 1964, primarily. The records are well-detailed and representative of the inner workings of a political campaign.
Correspondence, committee reports, memos and minutes can be found throughout the collection and not just in their respective series' or subseries'. The collection includes letters sent to William E. Walsh after Rockefeller withdrew from the presidential race that reflect on the Goldwater nomination and disappointment in the GOP.
The Committee files series contains:
Subseries A: Executive Committee memoranda, and Subseries B: correspondence. Material in both subseries A and B is alphabetically organized. Correspondence is separated into outgoing and incoming letters. There are also separate files of correspondence with Clay Myers, Robert L. Ridgley, and William E. Walsh.
Subseries C: Lists contains National Committee appointments information.
Subseries D: contains records of the 1964 Republican National Convention including minutes and correspondence.
Subseries E: contains materials related to Rockefeller's visits to Oregon and includes itineraries, invitation and attendance lists, press releases, correspondence, reports and memos.
Subseries F: contains letters written to Oregon students by Edward Paul Mattar IIII, the National Youth Director.
Subseries G: consists of correspondence by Rockefeller.
Subseries H: contains anti-Rockefeller letters while Subseries I contains pro-Rockefeller letters, all from Oregon citizens. Subseries J: contains "crank" correspondence.
Subseries K: contains local campaign literature, including literature produce by the Oregon Rockefeller Committee.
Subseries L: contains committee reports and minutes.
Series II: Campaign Finances consists various types of financial records separated into subseries A - T by type. Records include confidential reports, memos, and projected financial information, budget, expense, and account files, financial reports, receipts, invoices, contracts and insurance papers, petty cash accounts, and account ledgers. Files in this series contain additional correspondence.
Series III: Office records contain committee member, volunteer, and campaign supporter information separated into Subseries A-Z by subject, name, Oregon county or region. Records include address and mailing lists, other committee records, volunteer and clerical worker information, guest book, literature inventory, meeting records, and young Republican and student club files.
Series IV: Campaign Literature includes press releases, statements and memos by the National Headquarters, surveys of Oregon voters, Press Releases by Committee members, Rockefeller research kit including statements and Q and A files, publicity and photographs, Oregon Rockefeller Committee guidebook and Speaker's Manual, analyses on speeches by William Scranton and Barry Goldwater, local and national campaign publicity, and published books about Rockefeller.
Series V: Newspaper Clippings are organized into four subseries. Subseries A contains national and local articles of "significance." Subseries B contains miscellaneous clippings and GOP publications. Subseries C contains clippings organized by title of Oregon newspaper. Subseries D contains letters sent to editors by volunteers.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Identification of item], Oregon Rockefeller Campaign Committee records, Bx 121, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Campaign literature--United States
- Political campaigns
- Political campaigns--Oregon
- Presidential candidates--United States
- Rockefeller, Nelson A. (Nelson Aldrich), 1908-1979
- Walsh, William E., 1903-1975
- Oregon--Politics and government--1951-
- United States--Politics and government--1963-1969
Form or Genre Terms
- Campaign literature