Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Oregon NOW (National Organization for Women) records , 1971-2006
- Oregon NOW (Organization)
- Oregon NOW (National Organization for Women) records
- 64.25 linear feet, (47 containers) : 41 record storage boxes, 5 manuscript boxes, one half manuscript box
- Collection Number
- Coll 371
- The National Organization for Women (NOW) aims to bring women into full participation in society — sharing equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities with men, while living free from discrimination. The records of the Oregon chapter of NOW include by-laws, meeting minutes and agendas, events records, correspondence, and other materials documenting the group's political, educational, and outreach activities in the state. Of particular note are the materials documenting the group's fight for reproductive rights for women and the push to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time. Collection includes sound recordings, moving images, and digital files to which access is restricted. Access to these materials is governed by repository policy and may require the production of listening or viewing copies. Researchers requiring access must notify Special Collections and University Archives in advance and pay fees for reproduction services as necessary.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) administered through the Oregon State Library.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Oregon NOW is the Oregon chapter of the National Organization for Women. The National Organization for Women is the largest organization of feminist activists in the United States. NOW has more than 500,000 contributing members and more than 500 local and campus affiliates in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Since their founding in 1966, NOW's goal has been to bring about equality for all women. NOW works to eliminate discrimination and harassment in the workplace, schools, the justice system, and all other sectors of society; secure abortion, birth control and reproductive rights for all women; end all forms of violence against women; eradicate racism, sexism and homophobia; and promote equality and justice in our society.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The records of the Oregon chapter of NOW include by-laws, meeting minutes and agendas, events records, correspondence, and other materials documenting the group's political, educational, and outreach activities in the state. Of particular note are the materials documenting the group's fight for reproductive rights for women and the push to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment.
Series I contains the administrative records of the organization, including meeting minutes and agendas, handbooks, by-laws, training materials, financial records, lists of members, recruitment drive information, and other related materials.
Series II contains correspondence between NOW and other like-minded groups, as well as correspondence to and from prominent Oregon feminists.
Series III contains materials documenting NOW's push for ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment.
Series IV contains event and conference records. Materials include planning documentation, flyers, event financial records, correspondence, event handouts, and other related material.
Series V includes material documenting NOW's political activities. Records include information about various candidates standing for election, political action committee records, voter registration drive records, voter guides, and other related materials.
Series VI includes newsletters and other publications. Most of the material consists of newsletters and other local, state, regional, and national NOW publications. The series also includes some publications from other groups.
Series VII documents NOW's involvement in the fight for women's reproductive rights. It includes correspondence, campaign materials, action plans, and other related materials.
Series VIII consists of subject files. Topics include gay and lesbian rights, civil rights, HIV/AIDS, violence against women, and other women's issues.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Equal rights amendments
- Political activists--Oregon
- Reproductive rights
- Women's rights--Oregon
- Women--Political activity--Oregon
- National Organization for Women
- Oregon--Politics and government
Form or Genre Terms
- Administrative records