Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Frank C. Calkins letters, 1973-1974
- Calkins, Frank C.
- Frank C. Calkins letters
- 1973-1974 (inclusive)19731974
- .23 cubic feet, (1 document case)
- Collection Number
- Mss 2376
- Frank Cathcart Calkins (1878-1974) was a mapper, petrologist, and geologist. Collection consists of correspondence, primarily to Henrietta Mack Eliot, 1973-1974, regarding past trips to the Pacific Northwest while working for the U. S. Geological Survey, as well as letters concerning the account of his father, C. G. Calkins, of the Battle of Manila Bay in 1898.
Oregon Historical Society Research Library
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Frank Cathcart Calkins (1878-1974) was a master mapper, pioneer petrologist and famous geologist.
Other Descriptive InformationReturn to Top
Contains material previously designated Mss 2376-1.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The letters of Frank C. Calkins consist primarily of correspondence to Henrietta Mack Eliot, 1973-1974, regarding past trips to the Pacific Northwest while working for the U. S. Geological Survey, as well as letters concerning differences in the accounts given by his father, C. G. Calkins, and by Admiral George Dewey about the Battle of Manila Bay in 1898.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Frank C. Calkins letters, Mss 2376, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.
The Oregon Historical Society owns the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from copyright owners.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Geologists--United States
- Spanish-American War, 1898--Naval operations, American
- Calkins, C. G.
- Calkins, Frank C.--Correspondence
- Dewey, George, 1837-1917
- Eliot, Henrietta Mack, 1879-1978--Correspondence
- Geological Survey (U.S.)
Form or Genre Terms