Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Department of Military Science and ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) program records , 1916-1972
- Department of Military Science and ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) program records
- 1916-1972 (inclusive)19161972
- 3.35 linear feet, (3 containers) : 1 record storage box, 1 half manuscript box, 1 large flat box
- Collection Number
- UA 064
- The Department of Military Science was established at the University of Oregon in 1919, although the school had sponsored military training through the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) program before the creation of a Military Science department. The collection includes department files and ROTC/Air Force ROTC information, audiotapes, scrapbooks, photographs, clippings, newsletters, student orientation and training, and protest information, 1916-1972.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. Access to paper records will be granted after a professional review of the records occurs based on regulations in state and federal laws. Contact Special Collections and University Archives well in advance in order to access these records.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Department of Military Science was established at the University of Oregon in 1919. The school had sponsored military training through the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) program before the creation of a Military Science department.
In January 1916, then University of Oregon, (UO) president Prince Lucien Campbell, established a ROTC curriculum led by LTC John Leader, a retired British officer. Over 100 students participated in the first drill in March 1916, led by officers from the Oregon National Guard. By the fall term 1916, ROTC became compulsory for all male freshmen and sophomores. On January 27, 1919, ROTC was officially established at the UO, commanded by Col. William Bowen. ROTC became voluntary in the fall of 1962. The long tradition of ROTC at the UO has produced the highest number of General Officers of all nonmilitary ROTC schools nationwide. A total of 46 flag officers are University of Oregon graduates.
The Military Science Department now offers lower and upper division military science courses. The 300- and 400-level courses are open to contracted ROTC cadets pursuing commissions as officers in the United States Army. The 100- and 200-level courses are open to interested students.
Sources: http://rotc.uoregon.edu/ Source: http://rotc.uoregon.edu/history/
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection includes department files and ROTC/Air Force ROTC information, correspondence and memoranda, program and academic requirement information, audiotapes, material by John Leader, scrapbooks, photographs, clippings, newsletters, student orientation and training, and protest information, 1917-1972.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Department of Military Science and ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) program records|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College students--Oregon--Eugene
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Military education--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Protest movements--Oregon--Eugene
- World War, 1914-1918--Oregon
- World War, 1939-1945--Oregon
Form or Genre Terms