Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Story of the Oregon State College Barometer Manuscript, circa 1947-1948
- McIntosh, Charles Jarvis, 1869-1952
- Story of the Oregon State College Barometer Manuscript
- 0.35 cubic feet, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Barometer
- The Story of Oregon State College Barometer Manuscript is an unpublished manuscript about the contents and form of the Oregon State College student newspaper, the Barometer, from its inception in 1896 through 1947. The manuscript was compiled by Journalism Professor Charles J. McIntosh.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The first issue of the College Barometer was published on 16 March 1896 and was subsequently published monthly and then semi-weekly. It became the Daily Barometer in 1923 and is still published daily when classes are in session.
Journalism Professor Charles J. McIntosh came to Oregon Agricultural College in 1913 as editor of press bulletins and the College's first journalism instructor. Beginning in the early 1920s, he devoted full time to teaching, especially editing. McIntosh retired in 1941 and died in Salem, Oregon, on November 28, 1952.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Story of the Oregon State College Barometer Manuscript consists of approximately 900 typewritten pages about the contents and form of the OSU student newspaper, the Barometer, from its inception in 1896 through 1947. Compiled by C.J. McIntosh beginning in 1947, it was intended as a history of Oregon State College as seen through the Barometer. The manuscript has never been published.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Story of the Oregon State College Barometer Manuscript, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
This manuscript may have been transferred to the Archives from the Library in 1979.
All issues of the Barometer, from 1896 to the present, are available in Publication Group (PUB) 15-11b. The Publication Committee (RG 94), Memorial Union and Student Activities (RG 99), and Vice Provost for Student Affairs (RG 102) Records and the Memorabilia Collection (MC- Barometer) include materials pertaining to the publication of the Barometer.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College student newspapers and periodicals--Oregon--Corvallis
- Corvallis College--History
- Oregon Agricultural College--History
- Oregon State College--History