- Northwestern Live Stock Company
- Northwestern Live Stock Company Records
- 1884-1961 (inclusive)18841961
- 3 reels microfilm
- Collection Number
- Mss 031
- The Northwestern Live Stock Company was established to acquire, raise, and sell sheep, cattle, horses and other livestock in Choteau County, Montana. The collection contains the organization's financial and legal records.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and the University of Montana--Missoula.
- Funding for creating this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historic Publications and Records Commission. Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Northwestern Live Stock Company was incorporated in Helena, Montana, in 1901 by John T. Murphy, A.L. Smith, J.P. Woolman, and John B. Turton to operate in Shonkin, Choteau County, Montana. The company was organized to acquire, raise, and sell sheep, cattle, horses, and other livestock. The president of the company until 1906 was John Murphy, who then disposed of his interest. In 1909, J.H. Evers entered the company and by 1951 was president of the company.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains the financial and legal records of the Northwestern Live Stock Company. There are a complete set of corporate minutes from 1901 to 1941, that document board of director's meetings, stock issuance, capitalization, and reorganizations. Interspersed with other financial records are immunization records, herd counts, and livestock sales. Many of the legal records concern land leases, purchases, transfers, and negotiation of grazing permits with the U.S. Forest Service. The earliest land records appear in abstracts of title attached to later documents.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to the University of Montana
[Name of document or photograph number], Northwestern Livestock Company Records, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The materials are arranged by folder or volume, with no series divisions.
Location of originals unknown.
Loaned for microfilming by Jon Evers. He retained the originals.
The collection appears to have been microfilmed without significant arrangement during original processing. The other actions of the original processers are unknown. In 2004, the collection was re-described.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1: Cash book||1934-1949|
|1||3: Minute book||1937-1941|
|1||6: Minute book||1901-1941|
|1||7: Financial records||1911-1938|
|2||8: Leases and other land records||1884-1919|
|2||9: Cancelled checks||1921-1923|
|2||10: Stock certificates||1901-1938|
|2||12: Day book||1912-1913|
|3||13: Day book||1907-1916|
|3||14: Wage slips||1921-1922|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Animal industry--Montana --Chouteau County
- Livestock--Montana -- Chouteau County
- United States. Forest Service
- Shonkin (Mont.)
Form or Genre Terms
- Business records -- Montana--Chouteau County