Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Robert Garfias recordings: A Program of Songs by Lightnin' Sam Hopkins, 1967-1970
- Garfias, Robert
- Robert Garfias recordings: A Program of Songs by Lightnin' Sam Hopkins
- 1967-1970 (inclusive)19671970
- 1 videotapes : Earliest copy (EC) - 1 VHS (SP)
- Collection Number
- Video copy of film depicting Lightnin' Hopkins performing with voice and guitar, collected by Robert Garfias.
University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Video copy of film produced by the University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives and distributed by University of Washington Press, 1970.
Track 1 - Baby, Please Don't Go.
Track 2 - Mojo Hand.
Track 3 - Take Me Back.
Performer: Lightnin' Sam Hopkins/voice, guitar.
Documentation: Film log.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1986026-0001: VHS 1|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- African Americans--North America--Regional and Ethnic Cultures
- Blues (Music)
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- North America
- United States
Form or Genre Terms
- Video recordings
- Hopkins, Lightnin', 1912-1982 (performer)