Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Leland F. Skillin Collection, 1935-1973
- Skillin, Leland F.
- Leland F. Skillin Collection
- 1935-1973 (inclusive)19351973
- 0.5 cubic foot, including 55 photographs, (1 box and 1 map folder)
- Collection Number
- MSS Skillin
- The Leland F. Skillin Collection consists of materials documenting Skillin's work as an engineer. Skillin was employed as a mechanical engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Willamette Iron and Steelworks from the late 1930s through the 1960s and worked on design and construction of several dams in Oregon.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Leland F. Skillin worked as a mechanical engineer in the Portland District Office of the Army Corps of Engineers for 29 years. He served as Chief of the Mechanical Section for several years and retired in 1968. Skillin was born January 27, 1905 and died in 1996 in Cornelius, Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Leland F. Skillin Collection consists of materials generated and assembled by Skillin reflecting his work as an engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Willamette Iron and Steelworks. The Collection includes articles, correspondence, employment records, a notebook, photographs, publications, and technical drawings. Most of the materials document Skillin's work on Willamette Basin Project dams and other Oregon dams, including facilities at Fern Ridge, Dalles, Foster Reservoir, Bonneville, and McNary. The materials illustrate Skillin's calculations for a 15-ton Gantry Crane needed for dam construction, collection of wood truss/connector structure information, and a study for temporary pump facilities at the Willamette National Lumber Company pending construction of Foster Dam. A notebook includes flood data for Rainier, Oregon, that was compiled by Skillin.
Skillin's employment records include travel reports, studies, and memoranda in which Skillin describes his project work, inspection tours, and attendance at conferences. The photographic prints depict Skillin's co-workers and the construction of various dams. The photographs also include images of Wallowa Lake, the Snake River Canyon, and an unidentified bridge.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Leland F. Skillin Collection (MSS Skillin), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
These materials were transferred to the Special Collections & Archives Research Center by Skillin's son, Michael Skillin, in 2012.
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.
The Hoover Dam Construction Photograph Album (P 260) depicts construction of the Hoover Dam in the early 1930s.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Dams--Oregon--Design and construction.
- Dams--Washington (State)--Design and construction.
- Oregon. Willamette Basin Project Committee.
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers. Portland District.
- Bonneville Dam (Or. and Wash.)
- Dalles Dam (Or. and Wash.)
- Fern Ridge Lake (Or.)
- Foster Lake (Or.)
- McNary Dam (Or. and Wash.)
Form or Genre Terms
- Photographic prints.
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers. Portland District. (creator)