- Stern, Jerry
- Jerry Stern reminiscence
- 2011 (inclusive)20112011
- 3 pages
- Collection Number
- Mss 778
- This collection consists of Sterns' reminiscences about his time as ranger for the Lincoln Ranger District in Montana in the 1960s, and memories of the Lincoln Backcountry controvery including his interactions with Cecil Garland.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana-Missoula.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Gerald "Jerry" Stern was a ranger with the United States Forest Service. He was transferred to the Lincoln Ranger District in Montana on March 1, 1964.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of two pages of typed reminiscences, entitled "follow up to History of the Lincoln Backcountry Controversy by D. R. Randall," documenting Jerry Stern's time as ranger for the Lincoln Ranger District in Montana in the mid 1960s. A third page is titled "Other comments and Lincoln Ranger District." Topics addressed in the documents include Stern's interactions with Cecil Garland of the Lincoln Backcountry Protective Association, his impression of the Lincoln-Scapegoat area as a timber resource, his memories of working with young adults on the trail crew and with "pressure" groups.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to The University of Montana.
[Name of document or photograph number], Jerry Stern Reminiscence, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The three page reminiscence was written by Jerry Stern in January of 2011 and mailed by him to the Archives.
Directly related collections held by the Archives include the Lincoln Back Country Protective Association Records (Mss 195) and the Cecil Garland Papers (Mss 637).
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Forest policy--United States
- Forest management--Montana
- Forest protection--Montana
- Forest protection--Montana--Citizen participation
- Forest rangers--Montana--Lincoln Ranger District
- Lumber trade--Montana
- National parks and reserves--Protection--Montana.
- Garland, Cecil
- Randall, D. R.--History of the Lincoln Backcountry Controversy
- Lincoln Back-Country Protective Association
- United States. Forest Service--Officials and employees
- Lincoln Ranger District (Mont.)
- Scapegoat Wilderness (Mont.)
Form or Genre Terms