- Evans, S. D., Mrs., active 1863
- Mrs. S.D. Evans account
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 container) : 1 folder
- Collection Number
- CB Ev16
- The S.D. Evans document, "A Trip from Washoe, Nevada to Douglas County, Oregon, 1863" is a personal narrative recounting Evans' move from Nevada to Oregon in 1863.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Mrs. S.D. Evans lived in Northern California in 1861 when her husband was killed by local Native Americans. Evans moved to Washoe, Nevada, and from there, in 1863, she moved to Douglas County, Oregon. She made the journey accompanied by her two children as well as two other wagon teams. The group survived numerous attacks by Indians along the way. At the successful end of this journey, Evans settled on a farm in Douglas County.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Mrs. S.D. Evans' narrative "A Trip from Washoe, Nevada to Douglas County, Oregon in 1863" appears to be Evans's celebratory, "pioneer" reminiscence recounting her migration within the U.S. West. It highlights the difficulties eastern Americans encountered during the early years of white American settlement along the Pacific Coast, such as frequent Indian attacks and premature death (Evans had adopted one of her children who had been left an orphan). This reminiscence also highlights ways that local Native American tribes and nations resisted white American settlement and the changes these newcomers brought with them.
The collection is limited to the Evans' migration and offers some, though limited, details on her life before and after her move to Douglas County.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to Mrs. S.D. Evans' account|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Douglas County (Or.)
- Nevada--Description and travel
- Oregon--Description and travel
- Roseburg (Or.)
- Washoe County (Nev.)
Form or Genre Terms