- Kronstad, Warren E. (Warren Ervind), 1932-
- Warren E. Kronstad Papers
- 1954-2002 (inclusive)19542002
- 10.5 cubic feet, (11 boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS Kronstad
- The Warren E. Kronstad Papers document the education, research, and teaching activities of Kronstad, a wheat researcher and Oregon State University alumnus and professor. The Papers include correspondence and subject files; materials from Kronstad's courses as a student and teacher; research data; and reference files and reprints.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Additional Reference Guides
Preliminary container list available online.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Warren E. Kronstad joined the Oregon State University community in 1959 as a graduate student and instructor in farm crops. After completing his Ph.D. in 1963, he remained at OSU as project leader for cereal breeding and genetics and faculty member in the Crop Science Department. Kronstad lead the Wheat Breeding Project and with his research team developed numerous new varieties of wheat. He was also active in international wheat improvement research, including projects in Turkey and Mexico.
Kronstad received many awards, including the Oregon State University Distinguished Professor Award, and was the first faculty member to hold the Wheat Research Endowed Chair established by Oregon wheat producers in his honor.
Dr. Kronstad advised more than 100 graduate students representing more than 27 countries and taught undergraduate classes in cytogenetics, plant breeding, genetics, and cereal production. He earned his BS and MS degrees from Washington State University.
Kronstad retired at the end of 1998 and died in Corvallis, Oregon, in 2000.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Warren E. Kronstad Papers consist of materials generated and assembled by Kronstad as a student, teacher, and researcher. The Papers include correspondence and subject files; class notes and papers from his student years at Washington State University; course materials for the classes he taught at Oregon State University; article reprints and publication drafts; research data; and extensive reference files with reprints of publications, reports, correspondence, data, grant proposals, newspaper clippings, speeches, and notes.
The correspondence and subject files also including meeting minutes and conference proceedings and address Kronstad's work on the wheat improvement program in Turkey, cooperative agreements with international researchers, and development of the Center for Gene Research and Biotechnology at OSU.
The course materials include examinations, class handouts, lecture notes, and overhead transparencies.
Biographical information and materials pertaining to Kronstad's memorial service in 2000 and dedication of the Kronstad Crop Science Memorial Conference Room in 2002 are also included in the Papers.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
This collection is not fully processed; this guide is preliminary.
The Kronstad Papers were transferred from the Crop and Soil Science Department in 2008.
The Archives collections include the Crop Science Department Records (RG 095) and the Farm Crops Department Photographs (P 130) as well as the papers of several crop science faculty: Floyd E. Bolton, Te May Ching; Gary Jolliff; Donald David Hill; Dale Moss; Kenneth A. Rykbost, and Harry August Schoth.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Agricultural development projects--Mexico.
- Agricultural development projects--Turkey.
- Crop science--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Oregon State University. Center for Gene Research and Biotechnology.
- Oregon State University. Dept. of Crop Science.
- Oregon Wheat Commission.