Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Fred Elijah Ames papers , 1892-1919
- Ames, Fred Elijah, 1880-1957
- Fred Elijah Ames papers
- 1892-1919 (inclusive)18921919
- 1 linear feet, (2 containers) : 2 manuscript boxes
- Collection Number
- Ax 104
- Fred Elijah Ames was a forester in Oregon. The collection contains his diaries, photographs, and reports.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Fred Elijah Ames was born in Spencer, Massachusetts in 1880. He graduated from Harvard in 1903, and from Yale Forestry School in 1906. From 1908 to 1942 he was chief of silviculture and assistant regional forester in Oregon. During World War I he was captain, 20th Company, 20th Engineers. He died in 1957.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains diaries, photographs, speeches, and reports. The diaries begin with the boyhood activities of Ames and describe his school and college life, his early forestry experiences, and his war service. The photographs are of France in 1918-1919, especially the 20th Engineers. A collection of speeches and reports accompanies the diaries.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Fred Elijah Ames papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Forests and forestry--Oregon
- United States. Army
- United States. Forest Service--Officials and employees