- Burns, Tom, Jr.
- Tom Burns, Jr. papers
- 1958-1979 (inclusive)19581979
- 10.5 linear feet, (18 containers) : 16 photo boxes, 1 small photo box, 1 record storage box
- Collection Number
- Coll 352
- Tom Burns, Jr., was a photographer from Eugene, Oregon. The collection consists of negatives of Burns' professional and personal photographs as well as papers related to his master's thesis at the University of Oregon.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
UNARRANGED COLLECTION. UNAVAILABLE FOR USE. For more information, please submit a Notice of Interest in Unprocessed Collections
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Tom Burns, Jr., was a photographer from Eugene, Oregon. He studied photography at the University of Oregon and the Eugene Vocational School. Towards the end of his life, he sought a master's degree in Botany at the University of Oregon, focusing on the sequoia tree. Burns died before his thesis was complete, and was awarded the degree posthumously.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of negatives of Burns' professional and personal photographs as well as papers related to his master's thesis at the University of Oregon.
The 10,000-plus negatives in the collection cover dates from 1958 to 1972. Largely, they depict the development of Eugene during the 1960s.
Thesis papers consist of notes, published materials, and correspondence related to his study of the sequoia tree.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Identification of item], Tom Burns, Jr. papers, Coll 352, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Giant sequoia
- Burns, Tom, Jr.
- University of Oregon
- Eugene (Or.)--History
- Eugene (Or.)--Photographs
Form or Genre Terms