Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
UW Ethnomusicology Archives audio recordings: Michael Coolen recordings (Music of Scotland and Mauritania), 1975-1976
- Coolen, Michael
- UW Ethnomusicology Archives audio recordings: Michael Coolen recordings (Music of Scotland and Mauritania)
- 1975-1976 (inclusive)19751976
- 11 items : OT - 11 reels (7.5 ips (some sections @ 3 3/4 ips), 2 tr. mono (9 reels recorded 2 sides; 2 recorded 1 side only), 5"); WT - 20 reels (7.5 IPS, 1/2 tr. stereo, 7"); Duration: 6:51:37
- Collection Number
- Tape 1 recorded in Edinburgh from Radio 2 folk music show, 11/6/75; Tapes 2-11 recorded in Mauritania 12/75 & 1/76.
University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Unrestricted: collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Michael Coolen is a composer, writer, actor, performance artist, and pianist from the United States. In 1973, he traveled to Gambia as the Peace Corps' Resident Ethnomusicologist to conduct interviews, collect artifacts, and record the cultural and musical traditions of West Africa. While there, he completed his dissertation on the West African Xalam. Since returning, he has composed music that has been played around the world and written books and articles on a variety of topics.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Contents: 76-3.1 OT - music of Scotland; 76-3.2-11 OT - music of Mauritania.
Documentation: Collector's notes on tape boxes transcribed onto original archives sheets at time of accession.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Europe--Europe--General Europe
- Great Britain
- Middle East--Middle East--General Middle East