Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Washington State University Womens Physical Education Department Records, 1923-1976
Overview of the Collection
- Washington State University. Women's Physical Education Department.
- Washington State University Womens Physical Education Department Records
- 1923-1976 (inclusive)19231976
- 1 Linear feet of shelf space, (2 Boxes)
- Collection Number
- Archives 19 (collection)
- Collection contains correspondence, financial reports, preparatory notes for productions, programs, photographs, etc. There are also scrapbooks and programs related to the annual activities day.
Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Women's physical education at WSU began in 1901-02. Nine years later folk dancing was introduced into the program. Since that time dance has become an increasingly significant part of the women's physical education curriculum.
For further history, see "The History of the Development of the Women's Physical Education Major Program of the State College of Washington, From its Inception in 1919, to 1929," by Maxine Hazel Smith, Pullman, 1951 (Unpublished M.A. thesis).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The records of the Women's Physical Education Department span the years 1923 through 1976 and are concerned with dance, gymnastics, and the Physical Education Majors (P.E.M.) Club. The collection includes correspondence news, program preparations and schedules, newspaper clippings, and photographs.
The papers are grouped in two series. The first series contains correspondence (1923-1927) between W.S.U. faculty and Miss Elizabeth Burchenal, a folk dance specialist who conducted institutes on campus. Also in the first series are materials from the annual dance/gymnastics festival as well as other dance related activities. Memorabilia from the annual P.E.M. Club high school activities day, the club charter, and the club constitution make up the second series.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions on Use
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Washington State University Womens Physical Education Department Records, 1923-1976 (Archives 19)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The papers are grouped in two series: Series 1. Dance, Series 2. Physical Education Majors Club. Within the series, the original order is maintained.
The Women's Physical Education Department records were donated to the Washington State University Library by Professor Jane Harris Ericson in June 1977. (UA 77-15)
This collection was processed in May 1978 by Pat Graham Pidcock
Washington State University Womens Physical Education Department Records, 1973-1981 (Archives 300)
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series 1: Dance Return to Top
Correspondence 1923-27 (Burchenal)
Programs and Publicity
Series 2: Physical Education Majors Club Return to Top
Annual Activities Day
P.E.M. Club Constitution and Charter
P.E.M. Club Scrapbook
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Physical education for women -- Washington (State) -- Pullman
- Women athletes -- Washington (State)
- State College of Washington. Women's Physical Education Department -- Records and correspondence.
- Washington State University. Women's Physical Education Department -- Records and correspondence.
- State College of Washington. Women's Physical Education Department. (creator)