Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
James T. Gaither Photograph Collection, 1917-1922
- Gaither, James T. (James Terrence), 1899-
- James T. Gaither Photograph Collection
- 1917-1922 (inclusive)19171922
- 0.05 cubic foot, including 14 photographs, (2 boxes, including 1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- P 275
- The James T. Gaither Photograph Collection consists of images taken and assembled by Gaither during his student years at Oregon Agricultural College from 1917 to 1922, when he earned a BS degree in Commerce. The bulk of the photographs are of the annual tug-of-war between the college freshmen and sophomores.
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
James Terrence Wayland Gaither attended Oregon Agricultural College from 1917 until his graduation in 1922 with a BS degree in Commerce. Gaither was from Toledo, Oregon, and was a member of the Delta Upsilon fraternity.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The James T. Gaither Photograph Collection consists of images assembled and taken by Gaither during his student years at Oregon Agricultural College. The bulk of the images are of annual tug-of-war between the college freshmen (rooks) and sophomores taken by Ball Studio.
The collection also includes a snapshot of the rook homecoming bonfire and Education Hall with snowfall on the ground. Of special note is an oversize photographic print of the members of the Delta Upsilon fraternity that includes Gaither and Linus Pauling, also a member of the fraternity. A digital print of a portion of this image showing Gaither and Pauling is also included.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
James T. Gaither Photograph Collection (P 275), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
The photographs were donated by Gaither's granddaughter in 2008.
Additional material pertaining to the Delta Upsilon fraternity is part of the Memorabilia Collection (MC-Delta Upsilon). The Archives' holdings include numerous collections with images of student activities and events from this time period.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Pauling, Linus, 1901-1994.
- Delta Upsilon. Oregon State Chapter, Corvallis.
- Oregon Agricultural College--Students.
Form or Genre Terms
- Digital prints.
- Photographic prints.
- Ball Studio. (photographer)