Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Evans Smith McComas papers , 1862-1911
- McComas, E. S. (Evans Smith), 1839-1911
- Evans Smith McComas papers
- 1862-1911 (inclusive)18621911
- 12 linear feet, (8 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 181
- Evans Smith McComas came from Iowa to Oregon to work in the mines in the 1860s. He later owned and edited newspapers. The collection consists of scrapbooks and the McComas diary, 1862-1867, which describes his journey on the overland trip to Oregon.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Evans Smith McComas was born in Ohio. In 1860 he was living in Johnson County, Iowa where he taught school. He came overland to eastern Oregon in 1862 to the mines near Auburn. He tried other means of making a living, but was most successful as newspaper editor, and owned, edited, or contributed to a series of papers in eastern Oregon. He also promoted mines, patent medicines, and real estate.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of the McComas diary, 1862-1867, and includes his account of his overland trip. Songs, speeches, and ballads are transcribed on the final pages. Four scrapbooks contain items written by McComas or of interest to him. A few of the pieces are by or about William Henry McComas, his brother, who came to Oregon in 1872 and was also in the newspaper business. There are also deed and mortgage records. The McComas diary was published in 1954 by the Champoeg Press, Portland, Oregon, under the title, A Journal of Travel.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Evans Smith McComas Papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Gold mines and mining--Oregon--Auburn
- Newspaper editors--Oregon, Eastern
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- McComas, William Henry
Form or Genre Terms